2. Treacherous Roads 2

The forest won't let us breathe as it lingers around us.

Riftan gazed warily at the silent shadows, his gut telling him to keep his weapon on hand and at the ready. The pace of the horses and the knights had quickened and Riftan leaned in closer to Talon's neck, urging him to move faster.

Maxi grasped her bench seat as the carriage moved faster and she only release a breath because she couldn't hold it in any longer. She breathed out-

HOOOOWWWLLLL

"WEREWOLVES!"

"HEADS UP!"

Maxi yelped when the carriage trembled as something landed heavily on top, claws scrambling over the wood and a massive dark shadow leapt over, as men grunted and shouted, swords swinging through air and muscle and bones. Snarls and howls and the shriek of horses and Maxi didn't dare for once stick her head out of the carriage as much as she wanted to jump out and help but-

"Anymore?"

"No sir."

"Good. Move on, quickly. There will be more to follow soon enough." Maxi eventually stuck her head out to see a handful of massive fur monsters laid all on the road staining red and no one out of shape at least. The carriage rocked as they moved on quickly, eager to get out of the woods again and Maxi warily sat back.

---

Maxi almost yelped in surprise when the carriage rolled over a ditch, tilting the carriage and she slipping to the side. She braced her shoulder against the wall as she bumped up against it, rubbing her shoulder with a worried frown as voices raised outside and she stuck her head out the window. The knights hadn't noticed a ditch in the ground and just pulled the wheels over and Maxi was tempted to jump out and tell them to leave it and she would ride a horse instead. It would be faster on horseback anyways.

But the carriage was freed and Maxi wanted to sigh but she kept her thoughts to herself. Everyone was still treating her as though she had been on death's door. She hadn't really been there last time just in a precarious situation that was a big misunderstanding. But this allowed them to take a break which Maxi was utterly grateful for. She quickly skipped out of the carriage, noticing a gentle stream not too far away and hiking up her skirts, she hurried towards it intending to wash down her face and hands and cool her skin. Maxi knelt on the side of the stream, cupping the water in her hands and splashing it over her face and patting the back of her neck to cool it down.

A shadow loomed beside her and Riftan knelt down to join her, following her movements as he rubbed the water over his face. There was a prominent stubble starting to appear over his jaw and chin, something Maxi was often used to but Riftan could grow it out so well...too well.

But as he tilted his head, looking down, Maxi noticed a pink line crossing over his cheek only a couple inches long and thin in width. It would fade at some point but the sight of it made her throat convulse heavily. Her hand reached up, her fingers carressing his cheek and tracing the thin pink line. Riftan didn't shrug her hand off but froze gently under her touch, turning his head slightly to face her. Maxi laid her palm over his cheek and jaw, her thumb grazing the side of his nose.

"I n-never thanked you for saving m-me, Riftan." Riftan's eyes wavered as he gazed at her heatedly and he suddenly squeezed his eyes shut, turning his head to her palm as he took hold of her hand, kissing the inside of her palm with a harsh kiss that made her skin burn. "Riftan-"