7. The Road to Home

Maxi took a heady breath in, relishing the fresh cool air as she gazed out at the open fields, watching the grass shiver with the wind. And yet she felt warm, the cloak draped over keeping her tightly wrapped, stewing in her own warmth and she breathed in the comfort that it was.

Having been up most of the night and the adrenaline wearing off, Maxi was starting to feel drowsy but they weren't too far now. One more break stop and they'd reach Anatol in the afternoon. But the fading adrenaline did very little for the taut tension that was sweeping through Maxi being this close to Riftan and acknowledging what was being said before everything went in hypervigilance.

She was upset.

Her mood was dropping, frustrated and upset that he would desire such a thing, to send her away for her safety. That he didn't seem to know her well enough that she'd rather face a dragon than leave him alone to deal with everything. That separating the last time had broken them last time. Maxi was sure she couldn't do that again.

Could Riftan? She hated to think that he could just because he wanted to keep her safe. She didn't doubt the effects of his love for her. She knew him well enough to know he only had those desires for her own safety but silly him if he ever thought she would at all consider it.

The open fields and lush forest around them seemed...peaceful. Beautiful. Unlike how the forest had seemed the last couple days. The wind ruffled the grass slightly on its side, a soft hum as the leaves and grass fluttered into the air, tickling against her cheeks and ruffling her hair against her face and behind her like a flag. The horses grazing away peacefully, eager for a moments break and Maxi could take a breather.

It felt like she hadn't had one.

But it felt like she couldn't still. Not until she got to Anatol, to home and...as long as everything was okay. Everyone else was safe and well. She didn't doubt Anatol's security but...someone managed to break through and come in, stealing away in the night and laying out a trap. A trap no one would've expected.

The thought of werewolves...inside the castle, hunting, scavanging...it sent a cold chill down her spine. She needed to confirm that her home was safe. She couldn't breathe right until she knew for certain it was.

But, at least those responsible were gone.

And with that, she raised her face skyward and breathed in deeply and let out a long heavy breathe, her shoulders dropping and she curled her knees to her chest, burying her face in her knees as she took shallow breaths to control the emotion weighing on her chest, the emotions that wanted to be let out but she couldn't not right now.

She felt his presence before she felt his arms wrap around her shoulder, his cloak draped over her, exuding warmth and comfort.

"Let it out, Maxi."

She did.

She didn't take into account that there were others close by probably listening, she didn't care right now. Her emotions for the last couple weeks hit her hard; the terror, fear, anger, pain, regret and sadness, the relief and the sadness over and over and over again. It was a repetitive cycle that swept through and around.

She'd been through worse...so much worse and yet, it just felt as rough and painful.

Bawling out her emotions, her eyes burned, hot tears running down her face, soaking patches on her skirt and into Riftan's cloak as he sat next to her, holding her.

He never said anything. Didn't quietly hum or tell her it was okay like one would to comfort a child. He was silent and just letting her bawl her emotions out which she was grateful for. She didn't want to be told it was alright now. She knew it was, she just needed to break down the stress of the last few weeks.