4. Treacherous Roads 3

The darkness bled over the the shifting shadows as if they were part of the earth as the night passed overhead, moonlight was a slender half moon that shone partial silver and and grey upon the world. It was easy for shifting movements to be blamed for moonlight.

That's all the shadows needed.

An excuse.

They didn't have long until the Remdragon Knights finally stopped for the night. They took a quick break earlier but he chose to wait until they officially stopped to proceed ahead. Even these knights needed a break and most of the night had already passed. Dawn would appear in a few hours at least and he was irritated from the travel but he calmly travelled from a safe distance behind and in the woods, thankful he hadn't come across any beast.

Luck was on their side.

But after another ten minutes, he was finding it easier to catch up to the Remdragon's as they were slowing down now. He smirked in delight and pulled to a quick halt, silently turning to his men and gesturing for half of them, ten of them, to slip onto the otherside of the woods and they would close in around the knights eventually once they stopped.

Unless they left the woods but he'd worry about that when it happened.

Slipping through the brush, skipping over fallen logs and slowing to a jog, kneeling beside a tree trunk, he peeked through the bushes, eying the scene before him. They had finally decided to stop for the night, impressing him very much for travelling on through the night without issue. The carriage was drawn in a tight circle as the Remdragon's gathered in close, setting up a simple camp to rest and nap. A small fire was drawn up and some were stationed up sparsely but the knights while lax were still tense and wary of the woods around them.

He quickly raised his hand, palm open, fingers upwards telling his shadows to remain hidden and wait. As much as he wanted to strike, he knew he had to wait just a bit and the perfect moment would appear. Thirty knights, ten of them on watch but they were slumped against the trees, one yawning and shaking himself to wake up.

Lord Calypse climbed off his horse, speaking to some men with a tired frown as he rubbed his face and went to the carriage. He watched the Lord of Anatol draw back the curtain, his lips moving as he spoke to the Lady hidden inside, a disgustingly loving expression on the knights face. He pulled back the curtains and stepped away, quietly speaking another knight as he settled himself next to the carriage, near the fire.

It didn't take long for the knights to quickly cut off the flames and drop down on the blankets, tired as they were and bathing the road in utter darkness. Not even the moonlight touched the scene but the horses circled around the knights made it a little more difficult.

But what was the fun if it was too easy.

The slumped forms of the knights were faint but there and he knew his men behind could see his raised hand and he closed his hand in a tight fist, the steel on his knuckle wrist band glinting faintly.

Move now.

He pulled out a quiver with black crow feathers, the edges tipped in red in preparation as they slinked through the shadows.

The assassins slipped through the darkness, melting once again into shadows, the horses snuffling as they slept evenly or got quietly annoyed at the approach of strangers but didn't react. One assassin slipped closer to a figure standing up against a tree, head tilted awkwardly, as they were obviously trying not to nap. The buffoon snorted, swiping a hand through his thick orange hair, unaware of the creeping shadow crawling up behind the tree.

The shadows slipped beneath the horses, keeping still as possible while those on guard were either half asleep or watching out in the darkness. The slight scrape of steeling as it was withdrawn from their sheaths, boots barely making a sound as they crept beneath the horses and closer to the large slumped forms beneath the blankets and in the couple of tents quickly set up.

An assassin drew out a curved blade, slowly creeping around the tree trunk and holding up his knife just behind the neck of the knight, not touching but waiting for the right moment, free hand ready to catch the knights mouth from making a sound.

The knight yawned loudly, almost grumbling, running a hand through his orange hair.

He drew the dagger back-

"Ah, sneaky..." The knight yawned, mumbling making the assassin tense but the knight rolled his head back against the trunk yawning. "Sneaky women..."

The assassin blinked in relief, tightening his grip as he readied to bury it straight in the knights neck, right above his neck armour.

Swords and curved blades hung over the still and silent forms of the sleeping knights. Slowly, raising their weapons, ready to bring them down.

They slinked out of the shadows, creeping towards the carriage and one gently pulled back the curtain, seeing a form huddled on top of the bench seat, blanket drawn tightly over her and he quietly nodded to his companion, gently pulling the curtain away, while his companion notched back his arrow on the bow, aiming close to the head.

Weapons drawn, ready to bring out the final breathe of the knights and the lady in the night.

These were treacherous roads afterall.

The assassin tensed his arm and moved his arm towards the knights neck-

The assassins standing over the huddled forms slammed their swords down-

An arrow was released-

"Sneaky, sneaky."