13. Toxic

Maxi felt her mouth water at the scents wafting down the hallways, practically guiding her to the dining hall and her stomach grumbled hungrily, intent on dinner as she hadn't much for lunch earlier. The past week and a half things had returned back to normal but Maxi couldn't deny an edge in herself that hadn't calmed down yet. Wary with every flickering shadow as a reminder of what had recently happened and she hated that. She hated being wary in her own home but it would take time Riftan had said. Time for everything to feel alright again.

Maxi was just hopeful for that time.

The dining hall was heavy with the sounds of chatter, drunken chatter and even some boisterous singing. The smell of greasy, steamed meat and vegetables permeated the air making her mouth water and Riftan chuckled beside her, practically seeing the saliva drip.

"You should've eaten more for lunch." He muttered, rubbing her back and Maxi just shrugged nonchalantly.

"I h-have no regrets." Riftan stood beside her as he helped her into her seat and then sat next to her, with her between Riftan and Elliot as the knights joyfully greeted the Lord and Lady. "Ah, sm-smells divine." Maxi hummed, but before she could pile her own plate Riftan was tending to her plate himself despite her look. He just smirked and quickly kissed her nose as she frowned at him.

"Allow me."

Maxi just rolled her eyes, but hungrily swept her eyes over her now piled up plate with delight. Beef practically melting off the bone and soaked in broth, steamed vegetables and fish. A refreshing salad with a soft dressing and drinks were spared all around.

"It is divine my lady. The beef is especially tender today." Elliot hummed, nodding as his eyes practically glittered hungrily as he spooned the food into his mouth. "How have you been as well my lady? I noticed you tending to the infirmary so I assume you're feeling better now." Maxi smiled brightly at Elliot, chewing her food thoroughly before speaking.

"M-much better indeed. I d-do feel occasionally t-tired and quick to f-feeling like I...have pins and needles," Maxi giggled softly as she sipped her wine. "But Ruth is f-forbidding me f-from using m-mana for a little bit longer. W-which is f-frustrating but I'd r-rather not argue." Ruth gave her a look across the table and Maxi met his gaze stonily.

Elliot laughed softly nodding slowly as though he understood well enough.

"Oh yes, the wizard can be quite...stubborn, like a parent I dare say." Maxi threw her head back laughing in agreement.

"Indeed." She gave Ruth a cheeky grin as he scowled at them both. Hebaron laughed at the wizards pouty expression as well before diving back into random tales. Maxi laughing along with the rest of the men at the exaggerative tales shared all around and the squires and young knights getting all hyped over them.

Maxi finished her wine slowly through her first plate, licking her lips at the strange after taste that faded quickly so she shrugged it off. Riftan grimaced beside her, and pushed his drink aside as Maxi gave him a questioning look. Riftan grumbled about it being white wine which he was never a fan of. Maxi just laughed. "You can have it but please drink it at pace Maxi." Maxi just rolled her eyes at him but took his drink and sipped the drink that was just over half-way filled.

"...and so the damn beast just lurked around the woods, waiting for us..."

Maxi giggled but felt a shiver run down her spine as she felt a sudden flush hit her. Did she drink too fast? Maxi glanced at her empty glass and then Riftan's still partially filled one and frowned. She wasn't a good drinker but she wasn't capable of feeling so flushed so quickly especially while eating as she drank.