17. An Old Hell

Maxi stared through the window with a quiet expression, her eyes watching the dreary landscape as rained outside, water running down in slight streams over the cold glass. The land before her eyes seemed empty of life almost and she found it ironic.

It's so empty in here.

Maxi had always known how empty she had been her entire childhood growing up. The Castle had been devoid of feeling, of any warmth, of any hope. But she had lived that way without any idea of what lived beyond the walls of the Duchy. She'd just only known a hollow life.

Now she had a taste of more, of life, living, hope and freedom she felt so suffocated by the dreary empty walls that mocked her with lingering history.

She could sneer in distaste but she schooled her expression into a blank one. She was good at that afterall. She couldn't show any expression or emotion, not now at the very least. She had to be resilient. She had hope. But more importantly she had trust.

She wouldn't be here forever.

But the worry would always remain until she was back home in Anatol with Riftan.

Riftan...

Her last memory clouded in her head of him, watching him struggle to combat through the poison, knowing he was fighting but no matter how much he fought it wouldn't do a thing until he had the antidote.

Her gaze swept low, looking down below the window into the castle gardens which looked quite lovely, lush green and fancy flowers that weren't blooming as much with the weather but it looked a sight.

She gripped the skirt of her dress tightly, feeling her aching back throb as she tensed. She could hear the distant clacking of the cane and she was hating the sound. It made her feel as though the noose was tightening around her neck every day that passed.

She forced herself to look away and stand up, trying to keep her trembles at bay, her gaze low as she clutched her skirt and tried to fight away the fear creeping through her. She couldn't do anything.

Not now at least.

The door to room opened and her father entered, sweeping through with surprising grace despite the cane her needed, his frigid gaze falling on her and she felt as though she'd been thrown in ice water.

Stay calm. Show no fear, show nothing. They have nothing on you yet. Not yet.

She heard her father move around, until he took a seat on the lounge, eying her cruelly and she barely managed a brief stony look. Father and daughter stared at each other, the hollow cold of the room seemed to swirl like an invisible storm and Maxi wasn't sure if she was brave or stupid for holding her father's gaze.

Her father tilted his head slightly before his eyes shifted to behind her.

Maxi tensed, unable to stop the grimace crossing her face as she felt the presence of the assassin. Not foolish enough to engage right now, she coldly swept away from the window and took the seat across from her father, fighting back the heavy swallow. Even though she knew her father was harmless, he had his weapon.

As in an assassin who could quickly cut her down should she try anything.