8. Lingering

Maxi stood in front of the door to her quarters, chest tight and fist clenched at her side but her breathing was even despite the slight cold sweat running down her spine and temple. She had asked to be alone since Rudis insisted on hanging around but she needed to be alone.

She wanted her room. She wanted her safe haven back and she would take it back. It was cruelly invaded when it should be the one place in the castle that should be out of touch from such events. She was home, she was safe now and honestly, sleeping in an unfamiliar quarter or the office after four days was tedious and uncomfortable. It made her feel as though she were a guest in her own home.

She could see the slight gouges on the wooden door that would be smoothed and sanded over and they sent a faint shudder down her spine. Her hand shakily moved to the door knob, curling around and pushing it open, the door creaking open as it swung inside the room. She took a hesitant step in -

A hand slaps down on her face, cutting off any scream-

Maxi swatted her hand in the air, smacking away the invisible hand clasping her mouth, stumbling backwards into her room, heart pumping hard from the sudden memory that hit her like cold water. Chest rising and falling quickly, her hands pressed against her chest as she glances around, her eyes sweeping around in her bedroom.

Her bedroom.

She stood in the middle of their room, the carpets were straightened out...

The vanity was cleaned and all items she had left on it were there once again.

The sheets and blankets were cleaned and new.

It was though nothing had happened at all.

Nothing at all but Maxi knew otherwise and a shaky sigh left her as she approached the door, closing it softly to be left alone to herself. At least she didn't have a mess to come back to. Maxi moved to the vanity with the books laid nicely on it, the book she had used to hit someone over the head. The brush as well.

The back of her head tingled as she remembered her braid being tugged back harshly. Her own cries were ghostly, lingering in the room and she sat on the foot of the bed just surveying the room as though she needed to seek assurance that it was fine.

Her foot tapping on the floor, her thoughts sweeping around her like she was replaying all the memories. One bad thing had happened in her room; she was attacked and kidnapped in her own bedroom. The one bad thing lingered like a bad smell and it frustrated her deeply.

It's over now. I'm safe. Riftan is safe. Midahas is gone and those who tried to kill us that night, they're gone.

Repeating the words over and over allowed some calm to run down through her, allowing her to control her breathing and the scene playing out had faded more and more.

This is my room...My room and Riftan's. No one can take my safe haven from me.

She released the stifling breath heavy in her chest and her eyes stung, making her groan at her own pitifulness. She needed to stop getting all teary-eyed but the heaviness in her chest was lifting much more.

Knock
Knock

"Forgive the intrusion my lady," Rudis's voice called out from behind the door which creaked open softly, Rudis slipping through a gentle smile on her face as she held a large woven basket in hand. "I think they want to come back home as well." Maxi blinked in surprise but her heart lifted when Rudis laid the basket near the empty fireplace and three fluffy heads poked up from a thin blanket, blinking their feline eyes at Maxi.