chapter 23.

Jeongguk couldn't keep his eyes off of Taehyung as they walked home, gentle dark eyes watched every wrinkle in Taehyung's face when he sniffled or coughed. His muscular arm was wrapped around his waist for support the entire walk back to the boys house.

Taehyung had progressively gotten more sick from heaving a breakdown in the cold. His eyes were heavy and his entire body was leaning against Jeongguk for support.

"Where are the keys?" Jeongguk stood Taehyung up in front of him and held him by his shoulders. He frowned when the boy swayed and coughed whilst being unable to form a sentence.

"Back pocket," He managed to cough out. A blush spread across his cheeks as the elders hands slithered to his back pocket and pulled out the key. Jeongguk opened the door with Taehyung leaning into him once again.

"Tae-" Mr. Kim paused when he saw the two boys and Jeongguk felt his jaw tick, sharp eyes digging glares into sober man, "Is he okay?" The man swallowed dryly deciding not to bring up the events that had happened before.

"He's sick," Jeongguk replied and glanced around the room noticing that Mina and Minjoon were silently eating.

"Taehyung, can we talk-"

"Tomorrow," Taehyung weakly replied and pulled away from Jeongguk, "I'm tired," he whispered making his way towards the stairs.

Jeongguk followed after him silently and avoided the man's gaze on him. He couldn't tell if he was mad at him for punching him or not, he had a strange expression on.

"Taehyung, do you have medicine up there? The pain killers won't-"

"Stop acting like that, it's weird and I hate it," Taehyung spat before making his way into his room and shutting Jeongguk out.

Jeongguk's shoulders dropped and he stared at the door with a pained face, guilt spread like an illness through him but what could he do? He was trying to change and apologise, but Taehyung didn't want any of that. He won't give up definitely, even if the process hurts him.

I'll try harder. Jeongguk told himself and turned away from the door ready to go back the guest bedroom. He stopped when the door creaked open and a frail voice whispered his name.

"Can you stay with me?" Taehyung stood awkwardly at the door, head casted down to hide the shy expression he had, "I-I just don't want to sleep alone with him-"

"Alright," Jeongguk decided to not force the boy to give him an explanation. He was thrilled that Taehyung wanted Jeongguk to stay with him for the first time.

Taehyung walked back into the room tiredly and let Jeongguk shut the door and light behind him — the night lamp he had supported them to the bed. He bit down on his lip nervously and glanced at Jeongguk who sat down on the bed doing the same.

"Jeon," Taehyung rasped out and stared down at the floor before deciding to continue, "Can you stay here whilst he's here?" He eventually asked feeling embarrassed. He hated Jeongguk, as he told himself, but the boy gave him a feeling security. Ever since he had stopped the man from further hurting him he wished he was there before.

"If you want me to," Jeongguk couldn't help but smile at the request, "But I need to go back and pack, I'm getting kicked out and I need to find a place to stay-"

"You can stay with us until you find a place," Taehyung hastily replied, "Don't think of this as me forgiving you or anything, I just don't want to stay alone with my dad," he glared at the boy who grinned.

"If you say so," Silence took over soon after and Taehyung decided to slip into bed. It was going to be Sunday when they woke up so he wanted to spend the day resting so that he'd be better by Monday for school.