Rika Morofuji - The Will to Stand Up Straight

Taking a breath, I take the elevator up to the girls' dorms once more. It has been a while since I saw Morofuji. Ever since that time during the cruise, she's been cooped up in her room. I'm sure wasting away her life inside her dorm is not what she wants, but if left to her own devices that is exactly what she will do.

Now that I'm outside her dorm though, I'm not sure exactly how I should approach this. I obviously can't barge in her room like I would do with some of the other girls, that would be counterproductive at best and catastrophic at worst. So, I decided to go back to the first way I communicated with her.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - Hey, Morofuji.

The message was read. However, there was no reply from her, nor did she even start typing.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - I just wanted to make sure you were okay.

Still no reply, but the messages were being read instantly. Deciding how best to approach, I concluded that being blunt and honest was probably for the best.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - I'm outside your dorm room.

From inside the room, straining my ears I could very faintly hear a small "Eep!" and then the sound of something hitting the ground as well as shuffling. Ah, yes... probably not the best phrasing for that.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - Don't worry, I won't do anything. I won't even speak.

True to my word, I didn't. Not a single word was spoken. I waited for a few minutes, until finally I got a reply.

Rika Morofuji - Why?

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - Manabe told me you were hiding away again. I wouldn't be a good friend if I left you alone while you're at your worst.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - I won't say anything. You don't have to open the door. I just want to be there for you, someone you can talk to.

Rika Morofuji - I... can't do it. I'm sorry for wasting your time trying to fix me. Just forget about me. Please...

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - You know I can't do that.

She pauses, like I expected. I leaned against the railing. She'll probably try to get rid of me again pretty soon.

Rika Morofuji - It must be really akward sitting out there... I'm sure you have better things to do than spend time with me...

Called it.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - Perhaps. But I chose to come here, and I'm choosing not to leave.

There was no reply for a while again, so I moved positions to sit down. Might not look as cool as leaning on a railing, but it's less tiring.

Rika Morofuji - A lot of my classmates know about what happened at the cruise.

...I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's a highschool after all, news like that travels fast. But to have something like that about you be circulating around, it must be very uncomfortable.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - How did they find out?

Rika Morofuji - Rumors...gossip...I dunno...

Rika Morofuji - But now when I go out, there's always whispers. They keep their distance from me. Everyone keeps looking at me like I'm fragile...

Rika Morofuji - And I can't blame them... I probably am...

Rika Morofuji - Do you see me like that?

Rika Morofuji - Am I broken?

I pause for a moment. Sure enough, I knew she was struggling from the very beginning. Before I could reply though, an onslaught of messages came.

Rika Morofuji - I am broken...

Rika Morofuji - I am broken and I hate it.

Rika Morofuji - Even now, I can't stop shuddering.

Rika Morofuji - I can't sleep because of the nightmares.

Rika Morofuji - I spend every waking moment terrified in my own room because of something I know isn't there.

Rika Morofuji - How can you say I'm not broken and weak after that?

Sometimes, you need to break someone and build them back up. But...

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - You applied to an elite school and got accepted.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - You attended your classes every day, even though your deathly afraid of not only half your class but your own homeroom teacher.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - And one of your classmates is Ryueen, probably the scariest person in the entire grade. Yet you're still able to find the will to stand up and walk to class.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - I think most people wouldn't be able to do that if they were in your shoes. I have no doubt they would have run away already with the amount of things you deal with on a daily basis, but the fact is that you didn't. You even go out of your way to help Manabe and Saki while dealing with your own issues. Is that not proof enough that you're strong?

This isn't like me at all. I'm not quite sure why I decided not to break her. Perhaps I felt... pity? I'm not too sure about it myself.

The messages were read, however there was no reply for a while. I decided to keep going.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - What you went through is something you will never forget. Locking yourself away won't change that.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - However out here, there are those who will help you face the past.

...

When will you yourself, face your past?

...

A long pause...

Rika Morofuji - I don't know if I can face something like this...

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - Remember that your three friends are always willing to help you. And I'll be there for you as well. Don't you think it's time for you to see what you can achieve?

Another long pause...

Rika Morofuji - You're...really reliable, Ayanokouji. I'm... glad Nanami introduced me to you.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - Yes... I'm glad she introduced me to you too.

I sat there in silence for a few more minutes. Eventually though, I decided that I had to leave.

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji - Sorry, but I think I'm going to head back to my room for today.

No reply. Thinking that was the end of it, I stood up and brushed the dirt off my clothes. As I walked away towards the elevator though...

Click.

I hear a door unlock. I turn around only to see Morofuji stepping out from her room. She meets my eyes and shrinks back, but she doesn't close the door.

With slow, cautious steps she exits the room looking like she might dash away at any second. Every so often I would her her breath catch, like a tiny, almost soundless hiccup, or the beating of butterfly wings. However, she firmly holds her ground until she's in front of me. We stare at each other for a moment, before she opens her mouth and musters all of her strength to speak.

"...T...Thank you, Ki...Kiyo...taka..."

"...You're welcome, Rika."