Kokoro Inogashira - Closer to Me

"Oh...Kiyotaka."

On my way back to my room after having dinner with Manabe, I find Kokoro on her way out of a restaurant. I could see the other Class D girls in the restaurant, but they don't get up to move. I slide my phone out of my pocket and realize that Manabe and I ate dinner earlier than usual.

"Leaving already? Isn't it a little too early?" I ask her, as everyone else seems to still be eating.

"Normally, yes. But I'm feeling a bit tired, so I'm heading back earlier." Kokoro blushes as she looks down at her hands. "Um...K-Kiyotaka? You wouldn't want to...maybe...W-Walk back with me...would you?"

How can one say no to that?

"Of course I'll walk back with you. It's not like there's anything else I have planned tonight. I was thinking of heading back myself." Her face brightens up immediately once she hears my response, and she gives me a small but excited smile.

"R-really? I...walk kind of slow because I'm smaller than you...so I hope that's not a bother..."

"I could always just carry you if you want. I can't imagine you weigh more than a stuffed animal." At this, she becomes flustered.

"Uhh...n...no...You don't have to carry me...and I...definitely weigh more than a stuffed animal..." She replies.

"Jump into my arms and prove it." I open my arms and face her.

"..."

"..."

"...Maybe I should walk back by myself after all...?" Kokoro mumbles to herself.

...Mission failed, boss.

"I'm kidding." I salvage the situation.

"Hehe...y-yeah...I figured as much...But, umm...I guess we should head out...We're sort of standing in the entry way...and some people are trying to enter..." I look around and realize that there are in fact a few students waiting for us to move. "A-anyway...let's start walking, Kiyotaka..."

I step out of the way, mumbling a short apology to the other students for making them wait. Thankfully, they didn't mind. A few of them even said we made a cute couple, which turned Kokoro into a blushing mess. I don't quite understand what's so embarrassing about being called a couple of friends though.

More importantly though, is how Kokoro invited me to walk with her. I feel like in our conversations, I'm usually the one to take the initiative, so having her invite me is a bit of a shock. Here's hoping her slow walking pace doesn't prove to be a hindrance to our peaceful walk.

...

—————

As expected, we don't have the easiest time thinking of a conversation topic, considering we are both somewhat socially inept. More me than her. Putting two people like that together turns what would usually be a sweet event into a night that would be easy to look back on and cringe.

Why did it take so long for us to break the silence? There were so many things we could have talked about.

I'm sure that those will be my thoughts as I look back on this night.

"What are you thinking about right now?" Kokoro asks.

"...Nothing. Just about how tall I feel when I'm around you. I always forget how short you are until you're standing next to me." I reply.

"H-hey...I keep telling you I'm not that short. I'm just one head shorter than you...You're just really tall."

"I suppose that's true."