Nishi Haruka - To Die, To Sleep - Part II

"They were probably used already."

"...Used?"

"...Killed."

"...I see."

"..."

Nishi turns back towards the empty tank, her expression unreadable.

"..."

"...Are you okay?" I finally ask.

"Friend. Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure. Go ahead."

"What happens to something when it dies?"

"...That's not an easy question to answer."

"Why not?"

"Because it's not really something anyone knows. For those of us who haven't died, life continues to move on...albeit a little slower than before. But for the ones that do die, they just...stop existing. Or they get reborn or sent to heaven or some afterlife. Different people will tell you different things."

"What will you tell me? I trust you more than anyone else I know."

"I would tell you not to worry about it."

"Because you don't want me to be sad?"

"...Right."

"But I'm already sad."

"..."

"..."

"...Do you like poetry, Nishi?"

"Poetry?"

"Poems are a combination of words that exist to make people feel certain ways or think certain things. I'm not really good at cheering people up, but I was just reminded of one by our talk. It might be able to explain death a little better than I can, although you'll probably have to imagine I'm the one who died or it will be a little akward and not make much sense."

"This poem makes me feel very bad!"

"The poem hasn't even started yet...but anyway, the poem goes like this...

Death is nothing at all.

It does not count.

I have only slipped away into the next room.

Nothing has happened.

Everything remains exactly the same as it was.

I am I, and you are you-

And the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged.

Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.

...There's more to it than that, but that small snippet should be enough. In essence, life is going to be exactly the same and this is nothing but a bump in the road, even if you get all depressed right now."

"I had no idea friend was so good with words! Did you write that?"

"No. It was written by Henry Scott Holand. I just recited it because it seemed appropriate."

"Well, your poem did not make me feel better, but I am impressed by how smart you are to remember so many things!" Nishi gives me a weak smile.