•The News•

Pov: Nick

I just woke up feeling as stiff as ever when I remembered my social worker Hannah said she had some news for me and was coming over to my current foster home because apparently, it is-

"too important to be discussed over the phone"

This means I'll have to get ready for her visit which I don't have any energy for but I know I have to do it anyways.

I get up from the sad excuse I call a bed that is acutely just a thin blanket laying in the middle of the bedroom floor. It is blood splashed everywhere on the wood walls.

My blood.

My whole body is aching from yesterday's beating.

The guy I live with is called Joseph. He hits me senseless every single day except for today. It is probably because Hannah is coming and it wouldn't look good if I was covered in blood and had fresh cuts and bruises all over my body when she came. I couldn't be able to blame it on p.e class either like I usually do because it is summer and I don't even have school.

I don't really have any friends either because Joseph doesn't want me to go out more than necessary in case someone saw my wounds or something along those lines.

That's not why I don't have friends. I honestly don't care about what Joseph says because I'll most likely always do the opposite of what he tells me to do.

You know, just to piss him off.

But the reason I don't have friends is because I don't want to get attached. If I get attached I'll get hurt when I have to leave to go live with a new foster family and I don't want that.

I go and put on the only clothes I have. A black hoodie and some worn-out gray sweatpants.

Before I put on the hoodie I take a quick glance at myself in the mirror and I shut my eyes almost immediately, regretting my decision.

I have scars all over my arms and a big flaw on my right arm from a previous family home. I got my arm burnt in the fireplace. They didn't even take me to the hospital.

My whole body is black and blue from all the bruises I have gotten. I also have a big scar that goes all the way from my neck to my belly bottom.

I was disgusted.

I wince at the slight pain when I put the hoodie on. I sigh when I take a last look in the mirror. Looking at myself, I can't help but feel disgusted at what I see. I look dead with my pale face and my messed-up brown hair. I can't see any joy left in my green emerald eyes. I felt empty inside.

At that moment I could feel my tummy growling. I haven't eaten in three days and the hunger is starting to get to me. Joseph wouldn't mind if I just took something little to eat, right?

Fuck it.

I walk downstairs as quietly as possible. Joseph is laying passed out on the couch with a bottle of wine in his left hand. He smells disgusting, and the whole room doses alcohol, but I just try to ignore it and hold my breath.

I walk into the kitchen as quietly as possible. I'm honestly shocked he hasn't woken up by now. I open a cupboard and the first thing I lay my eyes on is an apple. Honestly, fruit has never looked so delicious in my entire life. I'm so focused on it that I don't even notice the big figure howling over me from behind.
I carefully take the apple, turn around and I'm about to sprint upstairs to my room when I'm met with a big intimidating character staring right into my soul with their dark, blue eyes.

Joseph.

"you ungrateful brat! You thought I wouldn't notice if the food I bought was gone!? How stupid do you think I am!?" he screams at me.

"I don't think you are stupid, you are stupid," I respond with as much attitude as possible but I instantly regret my decision.

"You're gonna regret that boy," he says in a surprisingly calm tone which is even scarier than angry Joseph. That's when you know he is really pissed off.

He picks me up by the cooler of my hoodie and I close my eyes just getting ready for the hit when the doorbell rings.

"You got lucky this time." Joseph spat at me. Yeah, really lucky.

Joseph drops me and goes to open up the door with me right behind him curious about who my savior is. The door swings open just to reveal Hannah smiling right back at us. I completely forgot about her.

We go into the living room and I sit down as far away from the two as possible. I don't have anything against Hannah, It is just that I don't like people touching me.

Then Hannah opened her mouth and started talking.

"I'll just get it out of the way because I know small talk won't work out with you," she says looking at me, and then stops talking for a moment. I think she was trying to find the right words. I guess she found them eventually because she soon started to talk again.

But what came out of her mouth sounded almost unbelievable.

"Nick, we have found your family."
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello friends!

The first chapter is out! Sorry if it was short, I wanted to have a cliffhanger at the end I hope you all enjoyed it!