neighbors | wilbur

He always seems to be coming home when I'm leaving to go out and vice versa. I never caught his name but still, he always caught my eye. He moved in about a month ago. I was slightly bummed because I had become close to my previous neighbor. Nonetheless, I did enjoy admiring him from afar. But finally, I had a reason to talk to him. Although it wasn't in the best of circumstances.

"Is it stuck?"

"I think so,"

"God damn it," he mutters frustrated, his eyes rolling to the back of his head. He slowly slides to the floor.

I ignore his anger for now and call the firefighters using the button provided. They stated that they would be about 30 minutes.

"30?" he exclaims as they hang up.

"Are you okay?" I ask, sitting down on the floor across from him.

"Yeah, no I'm sorry I just need to be somewhere,"

"We're going to our floor? You need to be somewhere in your apartment?"

"Yeah uh, it's on a call,"

"Oh okay.."

I started looking around, this place was pretty cramped, and he was rapidly texting on his phone. I wouldn't say I had a fear of this happening, I just never really expected it to ever happen to me. The space seemed to start to close around me as time passed.

"Hey, are you okay?" He asks softly.

I start to breathe slowly, trying to count each breath.

"Yeah sorry,"

It was silent for a little. I started to get more at ease with each second. I was trying to think of anything, something to say just to talk to him.

"So what do you do?" He asks, taking me out of my daydream.

"Oh, I'm a (y/j), you?"

"Musician," he replies and looks as though he's trying to gauge my reaction.

"That's so cool! What kind of music do you make?"

"Uhh, kind of alternative pop and rock,"

"That's sick, you're gonna need to show me sometime,"

After some time passed I checked my phone, it had been 30 minutes.

"Where are they?" I ask myself.

"Has it been 30 minutes?"

"Yeah, 32,"

I frustratedly get up and use the button again. 

"Finally!"

"I can't believe they forgot about us," he complains exasperatedly. 

Just 15 minutes.

I decided to sit down next to him.

"Show me your music," 

He gives me a look.

"Please, I'm bored,"

"Fine," He pulls his phone out. So many notifications at once. He opens up Spotify.

"You want mine or my bands?"

"You have a band too? Show me one of each,"

He plays two very different sounding songs, his very slow and sad, called losing face. While his band's song was much more upbeat, called it's all futile it's all pointless. (my personal favs)

As he begins to end explaining the background and some meaning of the songs I hear shuffles from outside the door.

"Hello! Are you in there?"

We both immediately spring up. After a few minutes of work, the firefighters get us out and we're free. We laugh as we walk up the remaining steps to our floor. As we both reach our doors Wilbur looks over at me.

"Well if you're ever down to hang out sometime, I'm always a door away," he smiles and disappears into his apartment.

-

Thank you all for everything. I'm finishing/putting this book on hold for now. Love every single one of you <333

(01/02/23)