Chapter 12

"Tomorrow I will be testing you again," Leon spoke, tapping the stack of papers on the table.

Aeliana stared at him in disbelief. He just gave her a surprise quiz today and now he wanted to give her another?!

"Okay.." she muttered, her bottom lip sticking out.

'I guess it's great he told me earlier' she sobbed internally as she continued studying even after Leon left the library.

Her eyes were suddenly covered, her vision turning black. She brought her hands up and touched the hands covering her sight.

"Guess who?" a calming sweet voice spoke.

Aeliana smiled widely and she said, "Daddy!"

Cassian laughed as he removed his hands from her eyes. He kissed the top of her head and took a seat beside her.

"What is my baby doing that you keep frowning?"

She lifted her paper up and proudly answered him, "I'm studying for a test!"

"A test?"

"Yup, brother Leon said he will give me another test tomorrow."

Cassian smiled at her, rubbing her head, "How're the classes?"

"Great daddy! Brother is good at teaching so I have been improving a lot in the language! I can even read the books I couldn't last time!"

"That's great Eli! You must be working hard," Cassian lightly tapped on her nose and added, "Why not after tomorrow, we go out to town?"

"Go to town?" Aeliana looked at her father with gleaming eyes.

He chuckled and nodded, "It's been a while since I had time to spend."

"Let's go!"

"Alright, Eli. Make sure you ace the test tomorrow."

Aeliana hugged her father before he left the library to continue with his work. She hyped herself up and continued studying, making sure she understood everything she had learnt.

When she had to take the test given by Leon the next day, she finished it swiftly and even Leon was taken aback at how quick she was.

He went through her answers, marking the paper before looking at her. He didn't show any expression which made her anxious. Had she failed? Did she not study hard enough? These worries continued to plague her until she heard him speak.

"You got all of it correct."

Aeliana stared at him with shock before she jumped up from her seat and ran over to his side. She took the paper from him and checked it to make sure he wasn't lying.

Leon didn't lie to her and she really got every question right. She grinned and without thinking she hugged him tightly.

"I got everything correct!!" she beamed, not realising Leon had stiffened up from her touch.

Leon awkwardly shifted himself and just as his arms touched her, Aeliana already moved away, running out of the library to where their father is at. He stared at the empty space then sighed, running his fingers through his hair.

Just as Cassian had agreed, the next day Aeliana and her brothers got ready to head to town. Aeliana was lightly bouncing on her feet as it had been a long while since they went to town. A hand shoved her to the right causing her to stumble on her feet but luckily she didn't fall.

She turned to the culprit who had shoved her. Claud snickered at her, "What's wrong? Can't even walk properly? You're already four yet you can't walk right."

Aeliana had a blank expression on her face as she stared at him. Then she turned and walked away, not responding to his taunts. Claud was caught off guard by her reaction, his smug smile faltering slightly before he frowned.

"How dare you—"

"Claud."

Claud halted his movement when he heard his brother speak out his name. He brought his gaze to Leon and gulped. Leon shook his head and said,

"Don't cause trouble for today."

"But—"

"Dad will scold you if you do." Leon cut him off.

Claud shut his mouth, saying nothing else as Leon walked away. He looked over at Aeliana who was happily chatting with their father and gritted his teeth, curling his hands into tight fists.

'Annoying.'

He let out a soft hmph sound and stomped away. He noticed Marius and Darius not far from his position and smiled widely. He strode towards them and grinned.

"Marius, Darius, let's play a game!"

Marius' eyes lit up from his words and excitedly questioned him, "What game, brother?"

Claud laughed and held up a finger to his lips, "It's a new game I came up with."

Darius was adjusting his hat before looking at Claud with an unreadable expression. They had a mini staring contest before Darius opened his mouth,

"..If the new game is about Aeliana then I don't want to play."

Claud's smile nearly fell off his face after hearing Darius' words, "What..?"

"You're not going to play with us?" Marius asked his twin.

Darius shook his head as he added, "I don't want to play any games that involve hurting her."

"I never said this game is about her though?"

"Brother, your games always involve her."

Claud sighed, patting Darius on the head gently, "If you don't want to play then it's fine. I won't force you, alright?"

He turned to Marius and asked, "What about you? Do you want to play the game?"

Marius' eyes glanced at his older brother then back at Darius, showing signs of hesitation before finally nodding.

"I'll play."

Claud chuckled, mischief glowing in his blue eyes, "Alright, I'll tell you about the game later in the carriage."

---

Author's note: Hmmm what is Claud up to hm 🤨? Hehe thank you for reading this chapter! See you in the next~