Chapter 32: Exposed

He found it. Right where he expected it to be: hidden under a bookcase. He stuffed it in his pocket before disappearing once more. Little did he know that Halt was secretly watching him. "Where do you think you're going?" Halt called after him. Jack froze. He didn't know what to say. "What was it that you just picked up?" Halt asked with a serious look on his face.

Jack gulped nervously. "It was... nothing." He managed to squeak out. "Uh huh." Halt said suspiciously. "I- Uh—" Jack began running as fast as possible. Halt flew after him. Jack was surprised as Halt easily caught up to him. "How...?" "I'm a ghost, idiot. Now, What's in your hands?" Halt demanded. "Nothing." Jack responded quickly, taking his time to walk. He knew he needed to stay calm if he wanted to get anywhere with this.

Halt didn't buy that answer. "I highly doubt it." Halt said bluntly. "Look! I just picked it up. There's nothing else in it. Let's drop it already, ok?!" Jack pleaded. "Fine. Sorry, I guess." Halt said nonchalantly, turning away from him. "Thanks..." Jack trailed off quietly, relieved. But he stopped in surprise again as he saw Halt snatched the thing out of his hand. "Hey, what gives?!" Jack yelled loudly. Halt ignored him, instead examining the object closely.

"...I see. Well played." He mumbled to himself. "So, you lied to everyone?" Halt continued and looked at the item. He then looked at Jack. "And you still took advantage of that lie?" Halt questioned, anger clearly visible on his expression. "I... I can explain–" Jack tried defending himself, but stopped when Halt glared at him.

"Explain what? That you were apart of all of this? Apart of all of the murders?" Halt interrupted. "No! It has nothing to do with that!" Jack shouted.

He then became quiet, realizing what he had just exposed. "What?" Halt prompted impatiently. Jack swallowed hard, trying to ignore the uncomfortable feeling in his chest. "I— Uh.. Um..I was just... Umm... You see..." Jack stammered. Halt didn't let him finish, however.

"Save it." He growled angrily. "I'll just deal with you later.. I'm going to go tell the others what I found out about you." Halt stated before flying away. "Wait–!" Jack exclaimed, but Halt didn't listen.

Jack stared at the direction Halt flew off to, his face showing no emotion. He had messed up. Badly. What is ? going to think of him when they find out? What will happen to him? He thought, clenching his fists anxiously. 'What will happen to me? How am I going to explain all this to THEM?' He asked himself. He felt scared, worried, sad, guilty, confused.. All kinds of emotions swirled around in his mind like water around an old leaf.

He just wished that this whole situation would just end so he could go to sleep forever and not have to worry about anything else ever. Or rather, not worry about his own damn self anymore. Just then, a figure appeared next to him. Startled by its sudden appearance, Jack screamed in fright, stumbling backwards.

He almost fell to the ground but he regained balance, just barely managing to stop himself from falling. He turned to face whoever was standing behind him. His eyes widened when he saw a familiar figure. "?... Wh..what are you doing here?" He mumbled, shaking slightly. "That doesn't matter right now." ? replied sternly. "Let's talk outside." "Huh?? But–" "NOW." ? snapped. "Y..yes, sir." Jack bowed his head and followed him outside. "Now sit down." He gestured to the bench by the door. "S..sorry." Jack apologized shyly before sitting down.

? stared at him. "Why would you reveal our secret?" He asked suddenly, breaking the silence. "I..I didn't mean to.." Jack responded, his voice full of fear. "Then why would you?" ? inquired, narrowing his eyes at him. "It was an accident!" Jack defended himself. "An accident? " ? repeated. "Yes." Jack nodded. ? scoffed. "A clumsy one at that." "I'm sorry. Please don't punish me because of it. I just want my memories back.. I want my old life back.. I don't want to be dead anymore.." He trailed off. ? only glared at him.