Chapter 19: Night Changes

"Macie, sweetie, I need to run something past you! Can you come down please?" I heard my mum call me from downstairs.

"Coming!" I yelled, tying my hair up in a high pony.

I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen, "Yes mum?"

"So I just got off the phone with Niall. And the boys are heading home in two days, their flight gets in late, so they will all be staying here for a couple nights. We get the least media coming around, and they just want a break. Harry will be here too. Your aunt said you can go stay with her if it's too much."

"No, it's...it's fine mum. I'll be fine." I smiled small, walking over and helping her put the groceries away.

"You want to see him don't you?" She said softly and I nodded.

"I won't upset Niall, I promise. I just—I get it sweetie. Your door has a lock, just remember you're in your parents house."

"Mum!" I turned bright red hiding behind the paper bag and she laughed.

The boys arrived late Saturday, and I kept busy in the kitchen cooking the roast with my mum. I could hear my dad entertaining them, his loud laugh echoing through the house.

I was setting out the plates on the counter to serve when my mum cleared her throat, "I'm going to grab something upstairs."

I looked up to let her know it was okay, and I caught Harry's gaze as he stood near the doorway. My mom walked past him, patting his chest softly.

I quickly turned back to the stove and took a deep breath. I didn't know if I would be able to turn around, to face him. I was deep in my thoughts, when I felt his arms slip around my waist, pulling me against him.

"Harry what are—Niall and the guys left with your dad to grab some beers for us. We are fine." He said softly, resting his chin on my shoulder and I relaxed into his arms. I laid my head back against him and he turned and kissed my cheek softly.

"I've been going insane Haz." I said softly.

"You and me both baby. I somehow feel more in love with you now." He said, placing more small kisses on my cheek. I turned my face towards his, searching his eyes, before we each leaned in. I kissed him deeply.

"I'm coming back in the kitchen." We hear my mum all out and we both chuckle breaking the kiss. He lets go of me, stepping to the side of me.

"How can I help?" He smiles at me and I bite my lip.

"Hand me the plates, one at a time so I can start serving." He smiles and nods as my mom walks back in , and between the three of us, we finish serving up dinner.

At dinner, Harry, Niall and I sat in our usual spots. Louis made sure to sit far away from me. I wasn't angry with him anymore, I was just, not in a place to talk to him.

Niall kept glancing up at Harry and I, and I tried to keep most of my conversation to only Liam and my parents. It was all hard, there was happiness in everyone being together, but sadness in the circumstances of everything.

As we finished up dinner my dad cleared his throat, "Hazza, Macie, how about we show the boys are drinking game from your birthday night?"

We both looked at each other than at my dad, "Sure, why not." Harry said, and I felt thankful he made the executive decision.

"You lot start, I'm going to help mom clean up first." I smiled small and my dad nodded, pushing off the table to get the Jameson bottles and the deck of cards.

I started gathering up everyone's plates and Niall stood up, and started doing the same, "Mum, you stay and play, I'll help Macie."

My mother and I exchanged glances and she turned to look at Niall, "Okay, thank you sweetheart."

He smiled and I began making my way over to the kitchen. I started rinsing the dishes and loading them in the washer.

"Here, I'll rinse you load." Niall said as he approached the sink and I bit my lip and nodded. I couldn't help but shake my head at the thought that this dishwasher had now experienced two awkward situations between two people.

"How are you doing? With everything?" I said softly as I took two dishes from him.

"Um, I think I'll know next week, I'm still processing. But, I do know, I....I messed up with how I handled the situation with you and Harry. I'm really sorry about that. I should have let you explain. I should have known that, I was a big factor in why you didn't tell me."

He looked at me as I took another dish and I nodded a bit, "I never wanted to lie, Niall,...it just, was like an avalanche. Like we piled on so much, that when we shook it just a bit, all the feeling crashed down on us. I wasn't even sure, if I was imagining things. It wasn't until the night you wanted Harry to go on the double date with you. He tried to tell me then, but I didn't let him."

"He said something similar. About it just happening." He said, a slight red to his cheeks. I knew it was still tough for him, "But....I guess....you really did change him, Mace. I can't deny that."

I smiled small and nodded, "Yeah. I kinda did, but, to be fair, he made that decision on his own and stuck to it."

Niall nodded handing me the last dish and drying his hands. I closed the washer and started it, as Niall turned to me, "Come here kid."

He held out his arms to me and I hugged him tight, "I guess that's problem isn't it Mace? You aren't a kid anymore. I just can't help but look at you that way. And to be honest, if anyone is going to date my sister....I'm glad it's Harry. I know he'll treat you right. I have no doubt about that."

I pulled away softly and looked up at him, "So, does that mean?"

He chuckled and rolled his eyes, "Just please keep the snogging and cuddling to a minimum in front of me, please."

I laughed and nodded, "Okay, deal. Thank you."

"Also, NYU, Harry covered the first year, I'll cover everything else. You are going to come back with a whole different accent."

I laughed and shook my head, hugging him again quickly, "Thank you."