Chapter 27 - Older

It's my birthday!

I turn 20!

"Happy birthday!" my family celebrates over video call.

"Thank you!" I say, excitedly.

"What are your plans for the day?"

"I need to go to work today, so, today is just a normal day, but I'm planning on celebrating on Saturday."

"Oh, that's nice! Take care and have a beautiful birthday!"

"Happy birthday, Elia!"

"Thank you so much, Julie!"

"Happy birthday!"

"Thank you, Max." I smile at both of them.

I go up to my office and am surprised by a few letters, packages and flowers on my desk.

'To Elia, from Beckham Eliott.' one of the notes in a beautiful bouquet of flowers says.

'Happy birthday dear Elia, I wish you a happy, healthy and successful new age. I am very grateful to know such a dedicated, smart and talented young woman, who sets such a good example to other young women.'

The note reads.

'Happy birthday, Ms. Emerson.' a note from another bouquet says, this one from the hotel which's lobby I had designed.

Before starting work, I read all the other notes and letters, which are all so cute and thoughtful.

"Good morning, could you get me a few big vases for the flowers?" I ask my secretary over the phone.

My career has risen so much in the past months.

I've also moved out of my small apartment into a nicer and bigger one.

Live has been good.

"Good morning, beautiful." Colt walks into my office to give me a kiss on my forehead.

He then, half way, sits on my desk as I am sitting in my chair.

"Happy birthday."

"Thank you." I smile, as my computer starts.

"Why did you start your computer?" he asks.

"Why not? I need to check mails and get to work." I say, slightly confused.

"No." he turns it off and takes my hand.

"Good morning, Ms. Emerson. Happy birthday." my secretary and Julie come with the vases.

"Thank you, wait let me take them." I reach over to one of the vases to help out.

We arrange the bouquets and the two leave.

"Why did you turn it off?"

"You're not working today. "

"Of course, I am."

Without continuing the discussion Colt takes my hand and leads me outside.

"I have so much work to do!" I try to save myself, but it doesn't work.

"Can you at least tell me where we are going?"

"No, and in a second you also won't see where you are going." Colt opened his car door for me.

"What?" I ask, not knowing what is about to happen.

"Sorry, Elia, Colt forced me to do this." I hear Jay's voice behind me, followed by sudden darkness in front of my eyes.