11

JUNGKOOK POV

"Thank you and have a great day." I said, handing over the cookies to the customer.

I held onto the smile until the ping sounded and they were out the door, then released a breath and collapsed against the counter.

It'd been a long morning, that was for sure.

Glancing at my watch, I smiled to see it was lunchtime since I had skipped breakfast.

Over the last few months, I found a small window of time that allowed me to take a break and eat lunch.

I could grab a bite most days but other days there just wasn't any time to stop.

Not that I would ever complain.

It would be ungrateful of me to have an issue with being busy.

I went to the back room and opened the refrigerator, delighted to find my delicious lunch waiting to be eaten.

I could already taste the salmon that Jimin had brought home for us last night.

God, it had been such a sweet gesture and one that I still couldn't believe.

Maybe Jimin was just this great guy and I was all wrong about him.

I recalled what Jin said and he could be right.

Perhaps he was one of those alphas who just needed a little time to get used to things.

He'd been so sweet with Theo and Aera too.

Even when he couldn't always understand what she was saying, he listened and nodded along, answering her the best he could.

In the short time we had been there, Jimin had never made me feel like the kids and I were a burden. That alone meant more to me than he would ever know.

There had been no physical contact between us yet but dinner last night felt like a tentative first step in our relationship and I know I hadn't imagined the look in his eyes that told me he wanted me.

Before I could get my food into the microwave, the bell above the front door alerted me that I had a customer.

I sighed and left the bag on the table, hurrying out front so they wouldn't leave.

There was no rest for the weary.

If business kept going this way fingers crossed, I could really expand the bakery and I wouldn't have to worry about money as the kids got older.

With that thought in mind, I plastered on a smile, "Welcome! What can I get fresh for you?"

A woman with a preschooler at her side approached the counter.

I looked down at the little girl, instantly thinking of Aera.

I wonder what the kids were doing at this very moment.

Sometimes I wished that I didn't have to be away from them so much but I knew that was my anxiety talking.

I had to trust they would be okay even though I wasn't there.

The little girl smiled up at me and my niece came to mind again. Yeah, I wouldn't complain about how hard I had to work.

The more successful the business the better I could care for them and not worry about Hazel's threats.

The little girl giggled when I made a funny face at her and her mom chuckled.

"Sorry about that." I said.

"How can I help you?"

The mom waved me off, "I guess it just means I'm in the right place, She likes you."