The Unknown

Keith had been here for a while now.

Not really eating or anything .

He just laid there.

I hesitantly opened the guest room door all the way,

He hadn't even unpacked yet. I could see his emotions creeping off of him and onto the bed.

Pico...

I remember when he was small. I remember when all of them were. After what happened, I was in college working with Pico's mom...

(We were all so young)

"Keith, Have you ever heard of an inner child?"

"Yeah?.... it's like...the kid deep inside you?"

"Ha ha...pretty much,"

She started to stare off into space,

"Pico's, Nene's, and Darnell's are scared, and frozen...there was a shooting at their grade school when they attended...."

His eyes opened wide.

"I remember the day like it was yesterday. They were terrified, fortunately pico understood how to use a gun and hit and an extremely close shot on the intruder but...unfortunately , his mind went through the consequences. Pico had to deal with the fact that he killed someone, and his friends witnessed it."

I slid a few fallen strands of hair and sighed at the images that coursed through my head.

"Pico is helping so that kids like Skid, and Pump can live happy life's.."

Keith started to wipe his dry eyes and ask a very sad question.

"What about the polices, won't they do anything-"

I shook my head before he could continue.

"The police won't come here, abs when they do they leave it worse than what they found it. No one cares about this town Keith, at least this side of it."

His eyebrows furrowed in sadness.

"I've been so privileged , so that's why he couldn't just...not do it. He has to,"

I sat there next to him quietly,

"Putting other people's safety over his own is not his responsibility, he just has a big heart and a stubborn mind."

SWITCH-

I looked over shocked by the scratches at the door to see the kids,

They tried to hide and I frowned.

"Kids it's ok,"

They came waddling in hesitantly hogging me,

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier,

I just don't want you to think about this mess ."

"If I'm being honest...it isn't as safe as you think even now."

Pump spoke,

Skid put a finger over his mouth and my eyebrows furrowed further.

"Well..there's always older folks trying to get in our way, and the the other kids when we're walking to the school. They throw like metal cans, and shout curses at us for jokes."

Pump comforted skid about what he just confessed,

I smiled at the three of them and sighed once more.

"Everything will be fine..."

"Yeah!"

Keith sprouted out of nowhere, he grabbed skid and pump.

"And when Pico comes back we're gonna have so much fun playing that new fighting game!"

"STREET INJUSTICE FOUR?!"

" you bet!"

I smiled seeing the tensions practically disintegrate into the air, I hope everything will be okay. But Time will only tell.