Day 18: Eddie's Wish

Dear Diary....

I can hardly contain my excitement, it was Saturday and I was going to see Eddie. Yesterday was the math test. Eddie got a passing grade, he was so happy he picked you up and spun you around in the parking lot. You had promised him a wish if he passed and he wanted something today.

He told you to wear comfortable clothes because he was picking you up at 2pm for a date. He told you to trust him, but you were worried, would the date be enjoyable with you? It was hard being deaf and going on dates, you found that a lot of the regular activities were not the best for the hard of hearing. You wondered what Eddie had thought of, it was also super nerve wracking that this was a date.

Your bedroom door opened and Eddie walked in, huge grin on his face and he looked you over. I wore some comfortable jeans with a tank top that was longer so hung past my waste and I was about to throw on a suede dark brown jacket when Eddie frowned.

He pulled out his notepad: "Need a sweatshirt, it's going to be chilly."

"Can't you keep me warm?" I wrote back to him making his cheeks and ears redden.

"I can after what I planned sweetheart

"I can after what I planned sweetheart. I want to impress you." He smiled sweetly and you ran over to your closet, there was an old sweatshirt you loved, it had some pine trees on it, but you threw it over your head. You spin and throw your arms up in triumph. Eddie walks over and kisses your nose then your lips. You enjoyed when Eddie kissed you, the sensation never got old and you hope that it never does.

He grabs your hand then nods towards the door. You follow out of the house, no one is home this weekend, they went on a family vacation without you. It was hard to go to places with you, so in an effort to have a normal vacation, your father had asked you to stay home.

It hurt, but now you get to see Eddie. You seemed to be replacing any negative memories from your family with Eddie. He was everything you wanted from another human. As you got to the door you grabbed your keys and turn to lock the door. He looks at you strangely, notepad in hand, "Parents?"

"They went on a family vacation." I wrote and handed back to him. The look on his face was one of pure confusion, he then signed, "Without.Sarah."

His hand signs had come so far the past few days. You nod and he frowns, but doesn't ask anymore questions. He pulls you to the van and smiles as he helps you into the passenger side. He hurries around the front of the van, you huddle down in your sweatshirt, the days had become chillier. Eddie jumps into the driver's side seat and stretches, he is almost like a cat sometimes. You watch his hand come across your field of vision. You gently pull it back to your lips, kissing the back of his hand.

You can't believe he was learning to sign, that he was so patient and sweet with you. I look over at him and he's watching you. His smile has softened to a look of adoration.

"Beautiful." He says the word slowly and makes his mouth move enough for you to catch the word. You blush and then release his hand signing "Thank you."