Taking his leave

Chapter 10:

____________________________________________________________________________

Law took Nami to the hospital soon after what they witnessed in the restroom, and there at the hospital, the obstetrician confirmed that Nami had indeed experienced a stillbirth.

The obstetrician said, "I'm sorry for your loss," with genuine remorse for Nami's situation.

Nami was aware that something was wrong, but she wished it weren't that. Her child was gone; it seemed as though her entire life had been for nothing. She let out the sadness in her eyes while burying her face in her boyfriend's shirt. Law did nothing more than console her and pay attention to the obstetrician's remaining remarks. Nami's face was covered in waterfall-like tears.

Since Law was the only one who could listen, the doctor called his attention to him and said, "She'll have to take this medicine to make her go into labor so that she can give birth to the... child." Law received a paper prescription from the doctor for the medication Nami was supposed to take. "It's misoprostol, which gets her body ready for delivery," the obstetrician commented.

"Okay, thank you" law said as he exited the room with his girlfriend clinging onto his shirt.

Law drove them home after they were released from the hospital. Not that there was much to say, but they remained silent to one another as he drove. Someone just died unexpectedly, what else was there to say?

When they returned, they discovered Luffy and Bepo playing in the living room. When Law drove Nami to the hospital, he left Luffy in charge of keeping an eye on Bepo. Luffy immediately agreed, so Nami could get to the hospital without delay.

Nami dashed toward the room and slammed the door shut. Law let out a small sigh before stepping up the stairs. He went into the room and locked the door behind him to give them privacy. Nami sat in a corner, grasping onto a pillow and digging her face in it. Law stood in front of her and looked down at her.

His concern for her mental well being was his first priority. "It's going to be okay."

"Shut up, law!" She yelled out at law who took her words into consideration for once: "You don't understand! ....the baby was in my care...and i..i treated it so....unwisely,..."

Law put his back against the wall, he slid down and sat next to the sorrow filled nami,"Babe, you aren't the first to have a stillbirth, and who knows, it might not even be your fault."

"Look me in the eye and tell me that I didn't have something to do with the baby's death," Nami replied.

Law sat down next to her, patting the space beside him. She scooted closer to him, laying her head on his lap."Nami-ya...none of this is your fault."

Nami couldn't help but feel hollow, like there was nothing in her, which raised the question, "...law...am I broken?"..."

"There's nothing wrong with you, babe," Law gave her a peck on the cheek and continued to speak,"Besides, that wouldn't change anything," he said as he wiped away the tears from Nami's eyes.

Nami leaned her body closer to Law and hugged him. She let her emotions out over his shoulder as they sat there on the ground for a few minutes. After those minutes went by, Nami stood up and walked towards the door.

She turned around and informed her boyfriend about where she was going: "I'm gonna visit my sister; it's been a while since I've last seen her."

"A..are you sure?..."Law asked, he almost forgot that Nami's whole family was dead. But how did no one know? Surely somebody must have found them by now, and if so, then law was sure luffy's brothers would have been arrested.