005 | ALL THESE YEARS

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"You got twenty minutes." the guard said.

The guard opened up the door and basically pushed Stiles inside the room, slamming the steel door shut behind him.

Stiles thought his eyes were deceiving him when he saw who was sat at that table.

Aspen's eyes shot up at the sound of the door slamming shut, her heart beating what felt like a thousand times a minute.

And then for the first time in all these years, their eyes met.

Even after one second of seeing each other again—everything came back. The pain, the tears, the fighting, the arguing, the bargaining, and the heartbreak.

Stiles blinked, as if he was going to re-open his eyes and find the room to be empty, that this was all some hallucination his mind had concocted to torture him even more.

But as he remained frozen still stood by the door, staring into her eyes for the first time in five years— he was rendered speechless.

His mouth fell open to speak, but no words came out of it.

So did hers.

And when Stiles finally found his voice, all he could say was— "You're my attorney?"

Aspen took in his appearance, feeling every hair on her body prick with the tension that filled this room.

She took in the fact he really was dressed in an orange jumpsuit. She noticed his build— his shoulders were a lot broader now. She noticed his hair— it was a lot longer and messier since she last saw him. He had facial hair now too, that was new.

Stiles was taking in her appearance too. She was dressed in very formal business wear— that was new. Her hair was shorter, back to it's natural dark brown with some caramel highlights. Last time he saw her, it was a lot blonder, and she'd clearly gotten it cut quite a bit too.

"You—" Aspen's voice came out hesitant and a little shaky as her stomach was consumed with nerves, "You didn't know?"

Stiles finally snapped himself out of his frozen trance, blinking as he took a few very slow steps forward and sat himself down in the seat in front of her on the other side of the steel table.

The two couldn't take their eyes off of each other's stares, both of them still processing this was real.

They were finally in a room together again after all of this time apart, they could only wish it was under better circumstances.

"Aspen, I—" Stiles spoke up, needing to cough to clear his throat as it came out so weakly, "I didn't even know you were a lawyer now..."

Aspen wasn't sure how to respond to that, so she just pursed her lips and forced some kind of awkward smile, nodding as she swallowed a lump in her throat.

She couldn't help but notice even his voice sounded different— it was lower, darker.

She then reached our her hand to grab the file on the desk so she could talk Stiles through the case— that was, after all, why she was even here.

Stiles' eyes caught a glimpse of something that made him feel like he'd just been punched in the gut.