Arena, Night 10

Uriel was starting to feel anxious (or so the constant alarms in her head told her). The Careers had a grudge against her, she had a bunch of wounds that should have been bleeding all this time, and if the cameras had been following her fight with Laurel, the world had seen her durability up close and personal. She was running out of options.

Her initial plan had been to engineer a way to win the Hunger Games on her own, but if she kept trying to go against her programming, eventually she would stumble into a situation that exposed her for good. And if she shut down in the arena, who was to say she would stay shut down? What if the Capitol got their grubby hands on her? If she won, would they parade her around like a doll and eventually realize she nearly was one?

She had to get out of this place fast. Another arena event or a plague of mutts would be delightful.

Footsteps steadily grew closer. Alert, Uriel risked peering out of the Cornucopia and saw a troop of tributes parading towards her, led by her least favorite boys. Frowning, Uriel retreated back inside, a series of commands running through her mind.

Run. Hide. Fight.

I should just leave. They won't be able to catch me. But then they'll know I'm here.

I should hide. But they'll probably move things around until they find me.

Are they here for the rebellion?

Uriel frowned, clenching her fists. They are, aren't they?

Okay. I'm going to fight.

She had to show these people she wasn't just a plaything. They couldn't manipulate her into doing whatever they wanted. That would go against everything she was trying to build for herself. She had worked so hard to create a life for herself that was human; if that fell apart now, Uriel honestly felt it would be easier to just give up entirely.

She dug around in her stash of weapons until she found a hatchet, her knives, and another spear. Taking the spear and hatchet, she stepped out of the Cornucopia in time to meet the approaching tributes. Haruka jumped at the sight of her, while Faqir waved.

"Hey, you are sttill here!" he exclaimed. "Cool! Uh, so there she is, you can take it from here."

He gestured for the tiny redheaded girl in their Testosterone Parade to step forwards. Warily, clutching the arm of the hulking District 4 boy who had one of the only two 12s in training, she advanced, followed by the second District 4 boy.

"Go away," Uriel hissed. "If you take one more step, I'll skewer you."

The girl flinched, gripping her boyfriend's arm even tighter. He frowned worriedly at her, then looked up at Uriel.

"We aren't here for trouble," he assured evenly. "We just want to talk."

"I know why you're here!" Uriel snapped, digging into her code for the command that made her scariest. "I said, if you take one more step I'll skewer you!"

The District 4 boy stared at her, then glanced down at his tiny rebel girlfriend. They whispered for a bit; it only triggered more alarms for Uriel.

By the time they leaned away and the girl reluctantly released his arm, Uriel had already raised her hatchet and sent it hurtling towards the girl.

She jumped, screaming in fear as she dove out of the way of the hatchet. In a burst of speed, she managed to dodge it, and her bodyguard stepped in front of her protectively, raising his axe.