Training, District 2

Laurel couldn't remember the last time she was in an elevator. It was strangely claustrophobic.

She stood in the dead center of the machine of death until it stopped, trying to give herself as much space as possible. Levi, squished into a corner, clearly did not mind.

"Do we have to ride this thing every time we come here?" Laurel muttered.

Levi shrugged, predictably silent. Does she not like tight spaces? That might cause problems in the arena.

F*ck, he's right, Laurel realized. She hadn't considered what she would do if the arena was nothing but cramped spaces, needles, or snakes. Would she be able to function out there if her fears were touched on? I wonder if Levi could get me out of there.

The doors opened and Laurel sprinted into the wider space of the training room. She breathed a sigh of relief, watching Levi head to the archery range before trotting behind him like a puppy. Levi spared her one glance before lifting a bow and arrow and aiming for one of the targets.

To Laurel's surprise, he hit the circle just outside the center on his first shot. Levi uttered a quiet "tch" noise, readying a second arrow.

"Oooh..." Laurel murmured. "You're really good at that. Can you teach me how to do that?"

Levi glanced at her, then nodded. I guess I can just show her and hope she catches on. ...Is she hoping to form an alliance?

Excited, Laurel picked up her own bow and picked up an arrow, watching Levi expectantly. Levi lowered his own bow, demonstrating how to place the arrow against it. Glancing between him and her own bow, Laurel attempted to copy him. In this manner, Laurel readied her bow and watched as Levi fired. This time, he hit the center of the target.

Beaming, Laurel followed suit.

Her arrow didn't even reach the target.

Huffing, Laurel looked down at Levi. "Your teaching sucks."

Levi snorted, then tugged on the sleeve of the trainer nearby. He pointed to Laurel, who waved.

"Do you need help?" the trainer asked. "Here, let me teach you how to do it..."

Verbal, hands-on instruction was more effective. Laurel's next arrow got slightly closer to the target, and her third arrow tapped into its edge before falling to the ground.

Laurel decided archery wasn't for her.

"Can we go punch the big sandbags?" Laurel asked, tapping Levi's shoulder. He flinched, his next arrow sticking into the wall next to the target. Laurel cocked her head. "Levi?"

Sh*t...! Levi wrenched his shoulder away from her touch, nodding. I didn't expect her to touch me. Geez...

He must not like touch, Laurel observed. ...Weird. Why not?

Placing his bow and arrow aside, Levi headed over to the punching bags instead. He gestured to one, as if giving Laurel permission to go at it.

Laurel giggled, skipping after him. She unloaded a series of punches, claws, and kicks on the bag, occasionally receiving coaching from the trainer nearby.

"Hey," she began during a brief pause, "you and I are gonna stick together in here, right? I was asked to take you home if I could. Maybe we can pretend to date so they feel bad and let us both leave!"

Levi smirked, shrugging, though he inched a bit closer to Laurel. ...I bet Lucifer sir asked her to look after me. Ha...he doesn't want to lose his punching bag.