Chapter 35: Don't Be a Stranger

"Surprise bitch!" Lily screamed, wrapping her arms around me almost immediately as I opened my front door.

"Ouch! Lil... the shoulder..." I winced.

"Ah shit... my bad". She pulled away quickly.

"Hey (Y/N)... how you holding up?" Tom smiled at me softly.

"Better than I was. Still feel a little battered and bruised, but the wound is healing well. And my hearing has fully come back too. Anyway... enter enter!" I waved to them.

Lily excitedly rushed into my apartment, with Tom dragging behind. She dove onto the couch, kicking off her shoes as she did so. Tom stood awkwardly next to it.

"Make yourself at home girl". I joked.

"Love youuuuuu". Lily snarked.

"Yeah yeah". I rolled my eyes, plonking myself down on the rug in front of the couch, Tom eventually joining me.

"Look what I brought..." Lily sat up from her sprawled out position, conveniently taking up the entirety of the couch. She reached into her bag and pulled out a bottle of wine.

"I'm not really supposed to drink on the pain meds..."

"Oh c'mon girl... how long you got left on them anyway... like 2 days? A bit of wine won't hurt..." She wiggled the bottle in her hand.

"... fuck it, you're right. I've been bored as shit up in here. I deserve a bit of fun". I sighed in defeat.

"That's the spirit! I'll grab some glasses". She shot up, heading in the direction of my kitchen.

"First cupboard on your left!" I shouted.

"Got it!" She shouted back.

"How are you anyway?" I turned my head to look at Tom.

"I'm alright... I guess. This whole situation... you getting hurt... I don't know. It's just fucking terrifying. (Y/N), I'm so sorry..." His words trailed off, a forlorn expression on his face.

"Hey... don't apologise! It's not your fault. Shit happens". I nudged him on the shoulder playfully.

"It's not everyday you get shot by a fucking serial killer, (Y/N). That shit definitely does not happen".

"Between you and me, the police don't think it was the Riddler. And I definitely wasn't the intended target". I whispered.

"Seriously?"

"Uhuh".

"What are you guys being all secretive about?" Lily joked, handing us both a glass of she had poured.

"Just talking about how much we hate you". Tom joked back.

"Take a number honey".

I took a sip of the wine, taking a minute to appreciate the crisp taste on my tongue. I hummed in contentment. It felt like a lifetime since I last had a drink.

"So where'd you put the flowers?" Tom asked before also taking a sip of his wine.

"Flowers?" I furrowed my brows in confusion, taking another sip from my glass.

"The flowers I sent you? To the hospital?"

"We sent you..." Lily coughed, butting in.

"Well I arranged it".

"Yeah yeah... whatever". Lily rolled her eyes.

"I didn't get any flowers..." I laughed awkwardly, turning my head to look between the pair.