Chapter 33: Nothing's Gonna Hurt You Baby

I spent the next couple of days in the hospital, despite the paramedic initially telling me I'd be up and out in no time.

Typical.

I'd never stayed in the hospital myself until now. Not that I wasn't painfully familiar with them. But I'd never broken a bone. Never contracted any serious illness. Never even fainted. It just happened to be that my first time being administered was because of a gun shot wound at the ripe age of 22.

You couldn't write it.

Eddie stayed by my side the entire time, only ever leaving to grab a change of clothes or some food. We'd hashed it out and he finally convinced me to tell my parents about the incident. I knew they'd lose their shit, so I made Eddie call them for me. They hopped on the first flight available, landing in Gotham early Friday morning.

"Oh my god... baby!" My mother exclaimed as she rushed into my hospital room, practically pushing my dad out of the way.

"Hey mom... dad..." I sighed, preparing myself for the lecture.

"You look awful... oh my god!". A small tear fell down my mom's cheek. She wiped it away quickly.

"Jeez mom, I thought I looked like a supermodel... way to kick a girl whilst she's down". I snarked.

"She doesn't it mean it like that honey..." My dad placed his hand gently on my good shoulder.

"I'm messing with you both... I'm fine!"

"You could've been killed, (Y/N). It's not a situation to be joking about". My mom's voice was now stern. As much as I resented her tone, I knew she was right. I was damn lucky to be alive. And that scared me.

"Mom... dad... this is Eddie. I was hoping you'd all meet under better circumstances... but hey, when life gives you lemons..." I gestured to Eddie standing in the corner awkwardly. The way he resembled Bruce from the day prior made me giggle internally.

"Mr and Mrs (L/N)... it's an honour to meet you both". Eddie emerged from the shadows, sticking his hand out to shake both of my parents'. I noticed that he was trembling ever so slightly, pushing his glasses up from the tip of his nose with his free hand.

"None of that, sweetie". My mom pulled him into a tight hug. The look of initial confusion on his face was priceless, but he quickly melted into her touch.

"And you can call me Daisy". She added, releasing Eddie from her clutch, but now resting her palms against both of his cheeks.

"Mr (L/N) is fine with me". My dad joked, shaking Eddie's hand.

"Of course". Eddie blushed, bowing his head slightly.

"I'm messing kid... it's Kevin". My dad patted Eddie on the back.

"Thank you for taking care of her, Edward. Y'know, ever since we lost our Danielle, it's been hard not to worr-"

"Mom!" I cut her off, shaking my head, brows furrowed.

"It's okay (Y/N)". Eddie offered me a small, sympathetic smile.

"All I'm saying is... we appreciate you looking out for her... that's all".

"There's nothing I wouldn't do for your daughter, Daisy. I love her. And I'm going to make sure from now on that absolutely no one hurts even a single hair on her precious head. I'll make it my life's mission. Anyway... I'll give you all some time to catch up. I'll be at the vending machine if you need me". With that, Eddie took off, stopping in the doorway to offer me one last smile before disappearing into the hospital.

"Oh isn't he lovely?!" My mom sighed, taking a seat at my bedside before placing my hand into hers.

"How old is he, (Y/N)?" My dad questioned as he sat across from my mom, on the opposite side of my bed.