Chapter 25: Ave Maria

<?>

I stood around the corner from his apartment. It was situated not too far from the Wayne Manor.

Ironic, I thought. Not surprising though. The rich do like to stick together, after all. Like a piece of gum you just can't get off the bottom of your shoe.

My breathing was heavy, fogging up my glasses under the tight mask. Adrenaline pumped through my veins as I traced my hand over the meat tenderiser stuffed up the sleeve of my coat.

For Gotham. For her.

I didn't even have to break in. He'd left his front door unlocked. An invitation, almost.

Foolish prick.

I slipped through his front door, trying my hardest not to make a sound. His apartment was large. Clean and modern. It looked almost unlived in. It didn't take me long to find him. His bright red hair contrasted against the pale grey shade of his couch. He was passed out, an empty glass in hand. Most definitely drunk. I stood over his long body, observing every inch of him. His pale complexion. His plump lips, parted ever so slightly. His fiery, curly locks sprawled across the pillow beneath him. The chest hair poking out from under his black button up. The cross necklace placed oh-so delicately around his neck.

What a saint.

I slid the weapon out from under my sleeve, caressing it's edges carefully before raising it above my head and crashing it down onto Will's skull. One swipe was enough. His body was tender, like an already bruised peach. I watched his blood seep into the fabric of the couch. I felt a weight lift from my shoulders.

She's finally safe, Edward. What would she do without you?

I took a moment to revel in the feeling. The pride. The power.

Eventually, I exited back out of Will's front door. Making it as though I was never there. The Riddler, an enigma.

I slumped down a side alley and stripped off my uniform, feeling remarkably average again. I glanced up, studying the disgustingly vast tower in my field of vision.

Not long before you're next, big boy.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of my phone buzzing. I pulled it out of my pocket to look.

(Y/N):

~ Hey Eddie. I haven't heard from you all day. Just wanted to check in and see if you're okay. I love you <3 ~

I blinked through newly-forming tears as I read her words over and over.

I love you <3

I love you <3

I love you <3

I love you <3

It took everything in me not to reply to her message. Not to turn up at her work. Not to swipe her up off of her feet, carry her home and fuck the shit out of her. Not to watch her fall asleep in my arms.

No. Not right now, Edward. Now is not the time. She'll understand eventually. Soon, everything will become as clear as day.

With that, I took off in the direction of my apartment. Whistling a familiar tune. A song the nuns would play in the orphanage whilst they beat us children until we shed tears and blood of crimson.

Ave Maria.