Chapter 67

When I followed her out of the car, between trees, to the light... I saw the cheery festival. I suppose I have already forgotten. The little village festivals right before Christmas. Angels on the branches of trees, snow-white coats embroidered with gold. Snowman games, priests from the neighbouring towns conversing with ordinary people. The warm air of food and dancing from the catholic golden ages.

I was a little girl when I was here.

And then Evie was pulling me towards the scent of fresh baked goods, she was greeting Mrs Johnson whose frail hands gave us Judas pieces of bread and warm lemon balm tea. Evie lead us through the festival to each station and games prepared for the kids. And I was reminded of everything I loved about the catholic church. Besides the silence of the church and the calm actions of priests and monks... I loved all the love they gave us whenever we appeared. Soon Evie and I were warmed up, our necks heavy with rosemary and wooden crosses which smelled like fresh sap. Priests kissed us on our foreheads, gladly blessing us with soft smiles.

Our church... was the peace in the middle of chaos. And Evie reminded me of it.

I stopped by a stand with glass little angels. They were in all colours and as I turned to Evie, I asked:

Is your favourite colour still green?

No, she shook her head.

I frowned.

What is?

Tea green.

Tea green?

When you had your paints with you at the treehouse, i always read the labels. Tea green... is my favourite.

Did you read them all?

Yes.

Why?

Because they were a part of you...

And as she blushed, I looked away and bought her a green angel, slipping it into her pocket as she smiled.

And then she was tugging me away, joining us in a circle of people who danced around.

And I watched all these people... knowing I envied them all. For being so strong to believe. And I looked at her and even though I often tried to water her down... I knew she wasn't just like them.

Evie was a person who believed in faith. She chose to believe because she knew she was worth it.

 She chose to believe because she knew she was worth it

Follow SeraphineDarcy for more updates :)