Chapter 27

Are you breathing in there, Owen asked through the door.

I lifted my head and let out a mumbled 'yes'. The door opened and papers scattered on the floor lifted their corners before they fell down again.

I have something for you, he said.

I sat up, curious. Owen sat next to me, dramatically like the queen of England, holding up a plate covered with a tissue. He lifted the cloth with a whip of wind and the scent of gingerbread cookies hit me. Cinnamon and sugar. What I imagined love smelled like. 

Oh, I said.

M?

I lifted my hand, holding the gingerbread cookie between my fingers.

Thank you, I murmured.

I lifted the sweet to my mouth when Owen snatched it and stepped away. I looked at his worried, regretful face, perplexed.

I guess I shouldn't have done that, he said.

What are you talking about, I asked him.

You'll cry, he told me.

I shook my head. Of course, I wouldn't, is what I wanted to tell him. But I couldn't. I was shedding tears already. I was so surprised, that I stopped crying, wiped the curious tear away and said:

How come I'm crying so much? 

I was perplexed. In the last few days I had been crying myself to sleep, something I never did. Strange.

Can I ask something, Owen asked.

I waited.

Why do you love her so much, he asked slowly.

Carefully, as if he was afraid I would burst into new tears that neither of us would be able to stop.

Isn't it obvious, I asked.

No, m, not to us, Owen told me.

I stared at him for a long time before I found the words. The words closest to the truth he wanted me to explain. But how could I when there was not a single one that could describe what I've felt for that girl all my life?

When I first fell in love with her, I didn't even know her. I only knew she had to be out there. When I fell in love with her for the second time, I fell in love with the pain, I knew was the same as mine... and later I fell in love with her when I realised her pain was mine. Ugly way to fall in love... but it was ours. When I fell in love with her for the fourth time, it was because we understood everything about each other. Her thoughts were mine. My pain was her. She had more pieces of me than I did and I had more pieces of her than she did. We were a galaxy of shatters of souls and, oh, Owen, you don't know how beautiful that was. And as I kept falling in love with her, we were more and more shattered. We were dust... Owen... we were the stars that never fell when we were with each other.

Owen asked me if I really thought that she did not feel the same. He hoped we were lovers till the end of the line. The perfect, eternal art. He hoped we had our happy ending written in our fate. But I knew we never did. I asked him if he wanted to hear a story.

He said yes.

There was once a flower in the Wide Wide Ocean

Follow SeraphineDarcy for more updates.