Chapter 61

Do you ever wish you had met a different version of me? A version who did not kill her mother? A version which was very much the same but guiltless?

I couldn't even imagine meeting someone who looked like Evie, smelled like Evie, felt like Evie and perhaps her past was similar to my Evie but her soul wasn't Evie's. Guilt wasn't all that made my Evie. But it was a part of her. Something I would miss and find strange to not see in her eyes.

Even if there are infinite you's in infinite universes, I don't want them. You are the only you, I love. Every little unchanged detail of you will forever be in a realm called my love and even though you'll never believe me, I knew you will understand.

Evie took my hand. Looked me in the eyes with one of the wisest gazes, only she owned.

And what of you? What about your pain?

Evie talked as if... I ignored my pain. I didn't. I simply didn't face it every day. I didn't fight it every day. My battle was long and tiresome. But little battles were perhaps more gruesome.

My pain was left in the past, I lied.

No, it isn't.

I wanted to laugh. I shouldn't have even tried.

I was a child then, I argued.

And yet it hurt all the same. Perhaps more. At such young age... isolating yourself from your family, running away to give them space to heal... I am not the only one who had to grow up too quickly. And look at us. Such old souls in such young bodies. Yet still in pain.

I shook my head with a smile and lightness in my heart that I'd never felt before... but as I looked at her... I felt it.

I'm okay with that, Evie, I whispered softly.

She squeezed my hand.

You don't have to.

And as I looked at the love of my life, I knew I must.

I didn't realise I have fallen asleep while she played

I didn't realise I have fallen asleep while she played. But when I woke up in the middle of the night, soft moonlight pooling on the floor, I noticed myself tucked away in a blanket and bare skin on mine. Evie had placed her head in the dip on my shoulder, and hugged my chest, her legs entangled in mine, clutching onto me.

I freed my hand from her hair, not knowing I had tangled my fingers in them and caressed her head. Evie was breathing in my neck softly and I smiled at the warmth her embrace gave me. She was holding me together as if those shatters we were made of would crumble. I caressed her shoulder hidden in a sweatshirt, wrapping the blanket that had slipped from her torso around her once again. A deep sigh sent a shiver down my spine and before I knew it, she was looking at me.

I did not mean to wake you, I apologised.

She only stared at me, those emerald eyes sharper than the night around us.

Evie?

Follow SerahpineDarcy for more updates :)