Chapter 63

I could not sleep. I was partly glad. I got to see the sunrise. I never knew the sky was tainted with purple when the Sun rose above the horizon. I had Evie's sweatshirt, pants and socks and yet I felt so very cold. From the inside. From the place, I had a heart. I tried to remember Owen's words. We were indeed on borrowed time. And I could not let it pass ignorantly while drowning in regrets of events that had not yet happened. Soft steps followed me outside. Evie swallowed me whole. Her arms wrapped lovingly around my neck. The cold fabric of her robe was soon warm by my skin and her hair fell around my shoulders as if it were my own. I felt so very safe in her embrace and as we watched the slowly rising Sun, silence overtook us with love. The first snowflake fell on my nose and melted away, falling like a tear down my cheek. Snow fell in the middle of the sunny morning and we refused to go inside. Evie pressed herself closer to me, her cheek on my ear. I felt the fabric of the shirt, knowing it was a shirt that was once mine. And I rested in her embrace with a sigh. A sudden thought called on itself.

Tell me a truth, she asked me.

I smiled.

I think overthinking is the boredom of the mind. Such unimportant things, occupying your mind and yet there are thousands of things to be said. To be discovered. Overthinking is silly boredom of the mind.

A truth, she agreed.

What did you think of it?

A thought, I told her, lying. I realised, I thought of the pain she will bring me in the future, not knowing it was now me who was hurting myself. If a kiss could only be a kiss if a lover could only be a lover... then I could make my mind empty and my heart happy.

I am glad I am not all alone in the world, I told her.

I am too, she whispered in the sunrise.

I've grown used to the sound of her breathing. I've grown used to her cool skin. I've grown used to her voice. I've grown used to the way she says my name. I've grown used to her little sighs. I've grown used to the way she closes her eyes. I've grown used to the shade of pink on her cheeks. I've grown used to the little brown circle in her right eye. And I've grown used to the fact I have not grown used to her at all. She was there from the very beginning. Her voice. Her words. Her air and her eyes were there from the moment I started breathing.

And in the end, I had everything but got used to her very existence.

The fact that she was bound to me...

She was everything I had.

We spent our last day laying in bed. Not doing a single thing. Not kissing. Not making love. We touched each other out of curiosity, made puzzle pieces out of our bodies and have grown into each other until we were only one. My underwear was hers, her sweater was mine, my eyes were hers, and her cheeks were mine.

In her company, in her solitude, I could never forget how much I love her.

Follow SeraphineDarcy for more updates :)