Chapter 41

Evie was waiting on my bed again. Owen told me the minute I was in the hallway. I did not know what he thought of it. We would talk later. I had a lot of time to spend with him but eternity was too little with Evie. But despite my excitement as I walked into the room, I knew something was wrong. I closed the door behind me.

I met Ryan today, Evie told me.

Oh, I said.

I couldn't hide the disappointment in my voice. But the pang in my heart turned into regret. She must've been hurt from seeing him... I had to remember that.

I sat next to her.

How do you feel, I asked.

Evie couldn't answer me. I let her lay her head on my shoulder and hugged her. Evie was not usually like this. She was jolly, smart and bright. But not like the blinding Sun. But rather like the golden sunrays passing through the universe, through the sky, through your window, landing on your cheek.

It was strange seeing her this sad.

Missy, she said.

Yes, I thought.

She lifted her head, looking up at me with the utmost vulnerability. The one which was scary to see on a face of a human who was important to you.

Kiss me, she thought.

I could see it in her eyes. That forbidden thought in her moment of need.

No, I told her.

Yes, Evie said.

You are sad, I told her.

Yes, she told me as well.

I didn't want to use her. What kind of a person would do such a thing? I saw her face. I felt her pain, knowing she would do anything to relieve it. And I would too. But this wouldn't help. It would only deepen her misery and I would never let that happen.

As if she heard what I thought, she sighed, leaning into me with words of the devil:

You are not using me, Missy... oh, can't you see, how miserable I am? I feel so guilty for using you...

That's not true, you're not using me, Evie, I told her.

Yes, I am. Whenever I need you... you are here. Right here for me. Without questions, without hesitation. And what have I done?

The very same.

Evie was just as important to me as I was to her. I had always thought it was so earnestly obvious. But perhaps not all thoughts could be shared. We were there for each other, no matter what. We were loyal to each other, Evie and me...

That's not true, she whispered.

But she knew I wouldn't lie to her. I pulled on her arm as she fell in my arms. My fingers found their rightful place in her silky hair. I embraced her hips as Evie melted into me. And then I leaned as she slowly closed her eyes. My nose against her. This odd feeling, in my chest. Heavy, so heavy it travelled to my stomach. My lungs seemed to shrink and my hands were shaking.

Ask me to tell you a truth, Evie, I asked of her.

Tell me a truth, she told me.

...I wish al the cherries were as sweet as your lips.

And then I kissed her.