Chapter 50

- I understand that you left out of respect for Conan, but you could have at least followed the truck just in case! It almost went horribly wrong!

- But it ended well, didn't it? And it's thanks to you.

- Are you serious ?

Although still focused on the road, he smiles.

- Hiro would be proud of you.

I remain speechless, surprised at the sudden mention.

Did he let me handle the situation just to say that? Well I certainly would be happy to make Hiro proud, but still...

- By the way, did you want to tell me something?

- Yeah, Vermouth stopped looking for you in Tokyo. She thinks you changed your hiding place.

- So I'm going to be able to go back living with you?

- Exactly. I've already notified Mr. Mouri and went to get your things while you took care of the delivery men.

He once again took care of everything without asking me...

°°°

I ended up asking Zero to teach me how to cook. After some reluctance, he finally accepted. Two

days later, he gave up on the idea and forbade me to touch anything in his kitchen. So I go back to Ran from time to time since she is more patient.

- Okiya Subaru?

- Yes. He is a friend of Conan and Ran. Also professor Agasa's neighbour.

- Oh, where you ate that cake last time?

- Yes that! He agreed to teach me to cook.

- Why are you still bothering yourself with that?

- Well... Since you do everything, I kinda have the impression of being a burden in your life there. So I wish I could at least do something to help you.

He laughs softly.

- You're not a burden, don't worry. That said, it would be fine with me if you went to his house next Tuesday.

- It is? Why?

- Vermouth happens to be coming here to help me get some work done for the organization.

A work for the organization?

- What kind of work ?

- Don't worry, it's not about you!

- That wasn't my question. What kind of work are you going to do for the organization?

He sighs.

- I didn't intend to tell you about it before because I wasn't sure... I suspect Akai Shuichi of having deceived the organization and faked his death.

I widen my eyes.

Shoot, he already understood?

- D-...Dead?

- Ah yes it's true, you forgot it. He apparently died a few weeks ago, but...

He looks away.

- Let's say that I have reasons not to believe it.

Before I can reply, my phone rings.

Ran?

- Hello ?