Chapter 8

- Are you sure everything is fine?

I feel like I know this man... Like I've seen him somewhere before... He seems more than shady given the situation, but strangely, my instinct tells me that I can trust him.

- To be honest, I do not know...

- Where are you going? If it's far away, I could accompany you...

- ...I don't know either.

- You don't even have a place to spend the night?

I shake my head.

- In that case, would you like to come with me?

Huh? Do I sound that desperate? ...Ok, I'm desperate but not to the point of following a stranger in his car.

- ...No thank you, I'll manage.

- Do you at least know where we are?

- ...Well...

He gives his hand to me.

- At least let me take you downtown, it's dangerous for a young lady like you to walk alone at night...

Says the one who almost forces her to get into his car... That said, despite the uneasiness of the situation, I have less and less the impression of facing a stranger. But should I really follow him just for a feeling?

As I was thinking, I took his hand without realizing.

Crap...

So I follow him, no longer able to refuse, and get into his car in the passenger seat. He waits until I'm strapped in before starting off. (I know this is a kidnapping, but I need her to follow him so let's say she's dumb because of tiredness lol)

- Excuse my rudeness, I didn't even introduce myself... My name is Okiya Subaru and I am twenty-seven years old. I am currently a student at Tôto University...

Why is he telling me this? I don't need to know his life ...

He directs his gaze toward me.

- But you don't care, do you?

...But you don't care, do you?...

What was that? Another memory? The voice was different but not the way of speaking ...

- ...Okiya-san, please look at the road.

He does so and stops in time in front of a red light.

- My apologies.

The car starts off again and we continue our ride. A heavy silence settles in and we take less and less main roads.

I guess I can say goodbye to the downtown area...

Still, I don't feel any danger, but can't help but constantly think about his words earlier. I've heard them before ...

But where ?

The car stops, tearing me from my thoughts. We are on a residential street, parked in front of a fairly large mansion. I turn to the driver.

- Okiya-san, have we met each other anywhere?

He turns to me and his smile darkens.

- You took some time to figure it out, Cider.