Chapter 48

The four kids turn to that Conan boy.

- So, what's the plan?

- Why do we have to wait to be at Professor Agasa's house?

Professor Agasa?

Conan asks them to calm down before explaining.

- Well... It takes time for the police to prepare an ambush... And we know that this truck will arrive sooner or later at the professor's, since he ordered a cake for today, remember?

The eyes of three of the children light up as the little redhead yawns.

- Oh yes, that's true! So the police is going to ambush the truck and save us then!

Conan puts his finger in front of his mouth.

- Lower your voice, if they notice us, we'll be in big trouble.

At the same time, I hear the voices of the two delivery men approaching the rear door of the truck. I rush the children behind the box containing the corpse - this one being the largest and furthest away from the door- and hide behind another box. Conan takes the opportunity to hang up so that the police cannot betray us by mistake.

After the "delivery guys" finished dropping all the packages off the street, they close the back door and the truck quickly restarts.

- Thank you Madam !

- You reacted so quickly, it looked like a ninja!

- Haha no problem, kids...

I will have to thank the organization one day for the reflexes that I have grown thanks to them...

Conan, further away, gives me a more wary look than usual. He relaunches his call to the police to confirm the rest of the plan. I stay where I am. Anyway, all that remains is to wait for the ambush.

After a few minutes, I notice that one of the children seems to be in bad shape. I sit next to him.

- Are you okay, kid?

- Yes everything is fine ! I finally got used to the low temperature of the truck... I'm not shivering anymore!

Yeah no you really don't look good...

I take off my jacket and hand it to him.

- Here, put that on.

- Eh ? But you only have a T-Shirt underneath!

I admit it's very cold here, but I think I can bear it.

- Don't worry ! I'm tougher than I look!

- Well, I didn't expect that!

This voice...

I turn around.

Shit!

The truck door is open and the two delivery men are looking at us.

What an idiot I am...

The smaller of the two addresses the other.

- I told you that I heard voices inside...

- Yeah. Sorry for doubting you.

He stares at us again.

- Say, you brats... You didn't call the police, did you?

Conan comes out of his hiding place, a smile on his face.

- What if we did? Either way, you're lost, so you might as well surrender, right?

The adult smiles in response.

- We just need to get rid of you and the evidence. Nothing will lead to us!

Conan loses his smile.

Yup, we're screwed...