Chapter 29

- You really have no luck...

- What again? What did I do?

- It seems that Gin didn't try to kill you because you made a mistake like I originally thought, but because you betrayed the organization.

- Eh? Why would I do that?

He laughs softly.

- Right? I didn't get it either, but according to Vermouth, you tried to protect another member who betrayed us months ago.

- Sherry, is it? And why "protect"? Were they in danger?

- Well... Sherry was an important scientist in the organization, but she ran away a few months ago. As Bourbon, I could have risen in rank in the organization by finding her, but Vermouth killed her at the last moment...

I say nothing for a moment, almost speechless.

- What happened ?

- I tracked down Sherry when she was about to leave the prefecture on an event train, the Bell Tree Express. So I also got on board, accompanied by Vermouth, and I'll spare you the details, but she had placed explosives in the wagon where I left Sherry, and it exploded.

- ...Ah yes indeed, I was certainly not in this wag-

I stop talking, suddenly taken by a violent migraine. I curl up, clutching my head in an effort to ease the pain there.

- Miika! Are y-

I hear Zero calling me in the distance before I completely lose consciousness of my surroundings.

Again ?

"Who are you ?"

Whose voice is this...?

"You don't remember me? ...Maybe it's better after all..."

Is that... me speaking there...?

I see a young red-haired girl, looking puzzled. No... scared.

"Don't worry, I'm not trying to harm you. Just keeping a promise I made."

What am I talking about...?

"Stay away from me!" the girl screamed.

My vague memory ends with this girl, retreating to the back of the car we were in.

When I wake up, I'm back in Zero's bed.

What time is it ? I'm hungry...

I get up and leave the room. In the kitchen, Zero is sitting at the table, or rather slumped. He sleeps peacefully in front of a computer on. As I approach, I look at the open page: it's a page of contact details for police officers in Nagano.

He's really doing his best... For me...

He shivers a bit in his sleep.

He must be cold...

I quickly grab some food before heading back to the bedroom in search of a blanket.