Chapter 38

Once the matter was settled with the police, -I got scolded by Inspector Nakamori for not telling anyone that I had spotted Kid,- I went back with Ran and her family to their home.

- Amuro-chan, do you want to come and cook with me?

- Uh, well... I don't mind, but I'm not very good at it... I'm even rather horrible at cooking...

Ran looks surprised at my answer.

- Yet your older brother cooks very well... Didn't he teach you?

I can't help thinking about Hiro-nii-chan.

I would have liked him to teach me...

- N-No... We lived apart for a long time, so...

- Oh I see. Do you still want to try?

- Y-yes, why not...

We go in the kitchen and I try my best to help Ran, even though in the end I just slow her down. I finally decide to let go and head downstairs to find another use to myself.

Once out of the apartment, I see Zero coming from the stairs, a plate of sandwiches in his hands.

- Oh... Hey...

I didn't expect to see him here, but it's true that he works on the ground floor...

- I brought today's unsold items to Mouri-sensei. Can you give them to him for me?

- Yes, no problem...

I go down to his level and retrieve the plate before saying goodbye to him and going up to the 2nd floor again.

- Ze-... Tooru has just brought back the unsold sandwiches from the café...

- Oh ! We'll eat them tomorrow noon then. Can you put them in the fridge?

- Yes of course !

- Thank you, Miika-chan!

- No prob-

I stop dead.

- What did you call me?

- As I thought, your name isn't Yuna Amuro, is it?

- Of course it is... Why would I...?

Of course, she doesn't look convinced.

- Why would you say such a thing?

- I'm pretty sure your real name is Miika. Sera-san got it wrong and Amuro-san almost got it wrong too when you collapsed in Izu.

- Well...

She smiles at me.

- Actually, Amuro-san and you are dating, aren't you? But you claim to be brother and sister because of the Poirot's female customers?

...Eh...?

I don't answer, stunned by this question.

What the? Of all the things she could imagine, why this? Anyway, I have to give her a valid excuse otherwise she won't let go of me...

I decide to say a half-lie.

- You're wrong, Ran-chan... We're not going out together! We're just long-time friends... Sorry for lying about my identity, but without that excuse, Poirot café customers are unpredictable...

- I see... That explains a bit... Also, where do you know Sera-san from?

- Well... Well... I don't remember, but it seems that she met me somewhere...

- Hmm... So can you give me your real name? Don't worry, I'll keep the secret!

She winks at me.

- I- I...

Can I really tell her...?

- My name is Miika Morofushi...

She looks surprised.

- "Morofushi"? Like Inspector Morofushi from Nagano?

- Eh ? You know him ?

- Yes... We met him during a case there...

I freeze.

- You... Do you know where he is...?

- I don't... But if we go back to Nagano, we can always ask Inspector Yamato, they are friends...

I take her by the shoulders.

- Is it true ?!

- Yes! Inspector Morofushi is your family, right?

- Y-yes... I'm looking for him but I only know that he changed jobs...

- In that case, don't worry, we'll help you find it!

- T-Thank you...

- But tell me...

She will never stop asking her questions...?

- Y...Yes...?

- Is that why you came here? So that we can find Inspector Morofushi faster? I guess Amuro-san can't afford to go that far with his second job, while my dad can...

- Y-Yeah !

I can't tell her that I'm here just to run away from a former "colleague"...

- Oh! I thought it was weird that you were interested in detective work but fainted at the mere sight of a corpse last time!

Well sorry to be weird...