Lady Bromwell

"Lady Bromwell?" I repeated the name to myself.

This is the infamous Lady Bromwell, who schemed the downfall of her best friend, Lady Klein? But looking at her beautiful appearance, I couldn't believe she could do such a thing.

Eris saw my puzzled expression and she laughed exuberantly.

"You must be wondering, dear boy, how Lady Bromwell could do such a heinous act towards betraying her good friend Lady Klein. Well, since I'm in a good mood, I'll tell you. Lady Bromwell is a devoted follower of mine. She comes from a long line of generals. What generals crave for in their blood is war. Only in wartime, can they shine and show their meritorious deeds to the king.

"For this reason, the Bromwell Family has always worshipped me."

I was rather overexcited being in Lady Bromwell's presence, for I realized, this woman had the ear of the king. If I could get her to help me, perhaps, I could escape. After having made her explanation, Eris felt detached from what was in front of her. She cared nothing for Lady Bromwell, and now it seemed her attention had also shifted away from me.

Eris opened up a new mirror to view what Midas was doing. Seeing Midas was still flying up into paradise, Eris let out a sigh of relief. Then Eris changed the mirror to a new scene. A large army gathered together as they marched. This scene showed what was unfolding at Lakeburg. To Eris' dismay, Septimus had gathered his army, to march towards the capital.

Eris stared at the army in their shining armor and laughed dryly. "That idiot, Septimus," she mumbled aloud. "Does he think starting a war will solve things? He forgets I thrive in war."

"Master," Lady Bromwell suddenly spoke. "Do you think I should frame Septimus for staging a rebellion?"

With a sneer on her face, Eris answered, "Do not rush. You should know by now that Septimus doesn't like to play according to the rules."

Countless thoughts passed through my mind as I wondered what these two had in mind for Septimus. The most pressing matter on my mind is how to escape from Eris' grasp. This goddess had a penchant for strife. I was afraid she would cause some sort of disorder to get me to assist her in transforming followers.

After seeing Lady Bromwell up close, I saw she was nothing but a servant, who lived to obey Eris' orders. If Lady Bromwell is a servant, then all the Bromwells were the same. And those who supported the Bromwells might also serve Eris, whether directly or indirectly.

Such thoughts passed through my mind, and I became aware of the precarious position I was in. Unlike Midas and Septimus who could bargain with me, Eris seemed like someone who had to have everything her way. In other words, it would be difficult for me to find leverage in dealing with her.

Unless, I got her to believe I was also her devoted follower.