Leaving the Mountains

As the saying goes, "All banquets must come to an end." After staying with the mountain folks, I picked up useful knowledge and skills. However, there was still a big world out there for me to explore.

Upon knowing of my intended departure, the mountain villagers asked me if I planned to return. When I replied affirmatively, they began to ask if they could place orders. I agreed. I hoped by then I would have the coins to purchase the items from the Tradeshop and could give them what they wanted.

I still had plenty of fur from trading with them and knew these would fetch a good price if I traded it elsewhere.

I promised the mountain villagers I would come back frequently, as I realized I was the only merchant willing to trek up the mountain to trade with them.

Descending the mountain was even harder than going up. The soil in certain areas were loose and it was easy to slip. Therefore, I walked with trepidation. I could see why those merchants who had caravans would not like to travel up this steep mountain. Realizing the thought, I wonder if I could simply meet the mountain villagers at the foot of the mountain. In this way, I could visit more frequently and easily, while they could buy the things they need.

My time in the mountains allowed me to renew my perspective on life. Life wasn't horrible. As long as I wasn't stuck inside a manmade birdcage known as the capital. My identity, my status, and the fancy clothes I wore did not have a direct impact on how others treated me. Here, everyone was the same. We were all living under the graces of the gods.

Even my footsteps were no longer as heavy as before. Every step I took, I was determined to make this life a fulfilling one. I won't allow others to dictate how I lived my life. As for my identity, whether or not was I was a prince, it didn't matter. Because from now on, I will create my own identity. I will be whomever I wish to be.

As I traveled, I would encounter other traveling merchants. I would sell my wares to them. If we encountered nightfall, we would set up camp together, sharing what food we had with each other. Everyone had a role to play, such as the one who would story-tell, or the one who would lead the conversation in divvying up the night watch.

Sometimes, I would meet a wandering bard. He would sing me limericks and odes about the recent troubles in the nation. In return, I would give him a handful of copper coins or invite him to a hot meal, courtesy of the tradeshop.

Life on the road was certainly adventurous, not a single day could be said to be boring.

The Tradeshop was a useful tool. After trading with others, I learned the rules of trading with the Tradeshop.

1. The Tradeshop prefers to trade with coins.

2. When trading in new items, the tradeshop will barter with new items it deems equivalent.

3. When trading in old or broken items, the tradeshop will require the same type of item to be traded in for a brand-new item of the same kind.

4. The Tradeshop never gives out coins.

So far, I discovered these four rules.