Help

The troops stood anxiously in formation. As for Raine and I, we stayed hidden in the carriage. Garlan and Bacchanal had learned of Raine's identity. They stood outside the carriage.

As the cloud of dust finally reached us, we were able to identify a few men and a woman on horseback.

When they reached us, they stopped their horses.

"Please help us," one of the men cried. "Our caravan was attacked by bandits."

These people were from the Sand Kingdom. If they were honest, then they were merchants. If they were being dishonest, then they were disguised bandits, sent to lure us into their trap.

The leader of the troops, the high knight appeared next to my carriage. He asked me for my opinion. I took a good look at them. I saw neither thin nor thick miasma on the people. It was hard to determine if they were good or bad people.

"It may be a trap. We will not send them help. Tell them they can stay with us."

The high knight relayed my message.

The self-proclaimed merchants only cried more furiously. "If you will not help, then we can only find others."

It was not that I was hard-hearted, but experience had taught me well.

The people set off and we resumed our rest.

The following night, I couldn't help but feel someone was eyeing our convoy. My heart felt uneasy. Raine noticed my discomfort.

"Is something bothering you?" she asked.

As I was about to answer, I heard a cry outside.

"Ambush!"

In front of us, several men burrowed out of the sand and slashed at the horses' legs. The soldiers riding atop the affected horses, were also thrown off. The bandits were truly insidious.

When they couldn't lure us into their trap yesterday, they laid out a new one. Having figured out the direction we were traveling towards, they set up an ambush in our way.

My anger rose and I told Raine, "Stay here and do not leave."

Then I jumped outside and climbed on top of the carriage. I pulled out a crossbow and began to fire it at the enemy. Under the moonlight, if not for the miasma, I wouldn't have known where to shoot. The troops were now in the throes of fighting for their life. The chaos lasted only with the last bandit standing.

By the time the battle ended, our side had suffered injuries, but no human death. Unfortunately, seven horses were killed in the skirmish. As for the bandits, most of them had died. Two bandits survived, but were heavily wounded.

The high knight interrogated them.

Then, he reported, "They are a group of villagers turned into bandits because of a lack of food."

"Did all the villagers come or are there more waiting somewhere."

The high knight answered, "They are all here."

"How heavily injured are the last two?"

"If they don't receive medical attention, they will bleed to death within a day and half."

I looked at the map. We were a three-day journey away from the nearest town.

"Put them out of their misery," I commanded.

The high knight obeyed.

Raine stared at me with disbelieving eyes. "How could you kill them?"

"It's better to kill them know than to let them die slowly in agony," I replied.

"If you allowed them to live, what if we encountered a caravan who can help."

"I told you before, there are not so many ifs in life. Putting them out of their misery is the best option for all of us."

"You've changed," Raine shouted.

"Yes," I agreed. "Experience has a way of shaping one's beliefs."

"I believe you are wrong for killing them."

"And I believe you are naïve."

"I hate you, Casper."

"Then I won't sully your highness' eyes with my hateful image."

With that, I exited the carriage, slamming the carriage door behind me.

I don't know what to say to Raine in this situation. It's hard to kill and to witness others be killed, but with the decisions before me, I could only make the one I felt was right. Even if that decision ran counter to what others would think of me. There was a part of me that regretted the decision, but if I had to choose again, I would make the same decision.

Garlan and Bacchanal saw my gloomy expression and did not inquire why. They rode their horses, as I sat on the front seat with the carriage driver. Those soldiers who had lost their horses walked. Once we reach a sizeable town, I'll procure horses for them.

For now, I could only let them suffer.

The previous battle made the soldiers realize their could be ambushes at every turn. The scouts were far more alert.

Despite the heightened atmosphere, our convoy reached the next town three days later.

This town showed signs of decay. When we entered, only a few old and feeble men greeted us. We saw no children nor youths.

"What happened here?" I asked him.

"We suffered from drought a year ago. The well water dried up. The children fell ill and passed on. Those able-bodied young men and women left town, seeking a better life elsewhere. Only the old like us remained behind."

I saw how hoarse the man's voice became after a few sentences. His lifeless eyes and severely chapped skin showed me he was telling the truth. Very little miasma emitted from the people here.

I gave them water and food. The villagers welcomed us to stay in the empty homes. Despite this, the soldiers still checked every nook and cranny for any secret doorways. Only when they were sure it was safe, did they all settle down. I stayed with Garlan and Bacchanal in one of the abandoned homes. While Raine stayed inside her carriage.

However, I increased the number of guards who would patrol the area,informing them to keep