The Banquet

Upon the morrow, I was personally picked up by Lord Crohn.

Raine was not within sight and I wondered if I should ever see the girl again.

Lord Crohn took me to see His Majesty. Today, the king was suffering from indigestion. The Imperial Doctor was attending to His Majesty.

Lord Crohn reported matters in the kingdom and the king listened with rapt attention. For some reason, I felt the king had been hypnotized by everything Lord Crohn said.

Then Lord Crohn mentioned, "By Your Majesty's grace, Lakeburg is now producing double the crops. By this time next year, the kingdom will be far richer in grains."

"It is you who brings us good news," His Majesty pronounced.

"Your Majesty, may I add this feat would not have been accomplished had it not been for a merchant."

"What a mere commoner was able to assist the crown. This we must witness with our very eyes. Crohn, you must bring this merchant to court."

"I will do as Your Majesty commands, however, there is one caveat His Majesty must forgive."

"What is there to forgive?" His Majesty asked, his faced hardened.

"The merchant's name is Caspian."

"What another Caspian? Will this name plague us to the end of our days?

"I was told the merchant was born Casper and then his name had been changed to Caspian."

"Casper is even worse," His Majesty groaned.

Upon returning to my new quarters in Lord Crohn's estate, my curiosity got the better of me and I asked him, "Why does His Majesty detest the name Caspian?"

Lord Crohn laughed and answered, "If I were to tell you, I would have a severed head. His Majesty has ordered the past sealed and never to be repeated. If one were to do so, they will be forever silenced."

In other words, Lord Crohn was directly telling me not to ask about a controversy so foul even the sovereign deemed it dangerous to recount.

Then Lord Crohn told me, "I sometimes think you remind me of the merchant Caspian. However, your face and spirit does not match his."

I wanted to tell Lord Crohn I was not the prince, but suddenly my mouth was forcefully clenched shut by an unknown force, which acted upon me.

A few days later, a royal banquet was announced. Of course, I was invited. The guest of honor was Prince Edric of the Nillah Kingdom. Upon laying eyes upon this man, I sucked in a deep breath. The man was obese beyond any imagination I might have.

I had heard the Nillah Kingdom suffered from famine in the past seven years and looking at Prince Edric, I wondered if this man single-handedly caused said famine.

Although these past several days, I had seen several heavy-set nobles, but Prince Edric stood out among the rest.

Lord Crohn sneered for my ears only, "It is fashionable for men to have a bit more fat on their bodies, but Prince Edric is a king among corpulent men."

I was led by Lord Crohn to Prince Edric's table.

"Your Highness," Lord Crohn bowed perfunctorily.

Prince Edric stared hard at Lord Crohn before saying, "Never thought I'd see you here."

Lord Crohn looked up and when their eyes locked, Lord Crohn chortled. "Indeed, I never thought I'd meet an ally here."

The two men nodded, before separating their eyes. I felt a strangeness, which made me feel Lord Crohn knew Prince Edric from somewhere else? However, the two of them were from different kingdoms. If a lord of one kingdom were to meet secretly with a royal from another kingdom, then there would be quite a lot of hubbubs. First off, Lord Crohn could be accused of treason. As for Prince Edric, his behavior might possibly lead to war.

I wondered if this was the very reason for His Majesty's unhappiness towards me at dinner? How tiring it must be to have an invisible sword hanging over one's head, and never knowing when it will fall.

On the side, Lady Bromwell chatted with the other consorts. It was my first time to see them. Besides Lady Klein, the third consort, who had died young, the other two consorts were still alive. Lady Hawksworth. The first consort, was the daughter of Lord Hawksworth, who was a war hero in the days of the previous king. As for the second consort, Lady Beaumont-de-Chantilly, she was the daughter of the Head Magistrate. Lady Beaumont-de-Chantilly's fame lied in her ability to rationally and thoroughly investigate all avenues before declaring her judgement. Among the nobles, she is the most liked for her ability to understand others.

Both of these ladies had their own form of beauty. As for Lady Bromwell, she could be said to be the most beautiful among them.

After exchanging a few pleasantries with Prince Edric about the local delicacies, Lord Crohn and I made our way over to the consorts.

I bowed humbly to all my "mothers" and elicited a squeal of delight from Lady Hawksworth. "This child does resemble His Majesty in his youth."

Lady Beaumont-de-Chantilly, smiled provocatively and then inserted, "However, I think he looks more like that person."