Departing From the Caravan

When I woke, it was nighttime and I heard loud conversations from below. I left my bed and walked downstairs. A fellow caravan comrade pointed me to the bathhouse, where I cleaned up prior to sitting down to a hearty dinner.

When I returned, a seat was left for me. Before sitting down, I greeted those within earshot. I sat down to a meal of steamed lentils and minced meat vegetable stew. The food was delicious and I wished I had bread to dip in the thick stew juice.

The others around me merrily discussed their plans for the next day. I knew that I needed to first separate from the caravan, then take out wares from the tradeshow to trade. The next task would be to see if I could find Squire Sam and the others. If I could find them, I would redeem them straight away.

While deep in thought, the caravan leader found me.

After we greeted each other, the caravan leader cut to the chase. "What are your plans for the future?" he asked me.

"I plan to leave the caravan and find some work, earn enough wages to return home," I told him.

"If you want you can return home with us. We plan to return to your home country to trade. We won't leave right away. Perhaps in three or four months."

My heart rose with excitement.

"Yes, I will join you," I hurriedly answered, as though afraid the caravan leader would retract his offer.

He chuckled. "Very well. However, you'll have to either work as a cook to earn your way or pay us a fee of seven silver coins if you wish to join as a merchant."

"Don't worry sir," I answered, "I plan to join as a merchant, but I don't mind cooking."

The caravan leader patted me on the shoulder. "You're a good lad," he told me.

Then he told me I could stay in the inn along with the other members of the caravan, as they had already paid for the inn. I only found out later, the inn owner was actually the caravan leader's brother-in-law. Therefore, the caravan leader was willing to patronize this inn, which was quite hidden in the small alleyway.

In order to make money, I first walked around the streets of the city. In Hard Foundation, the homes were built from a hardened sandstone. These bricks were adhered to one another with clay. The buildings were reinforced with long tree logs, bought from elsewhere. Most homes were only one story tall. Some other buildings, owned by wealthier individuals were usually two stories. Three stories buildings were rare and only those nobles or royals would own such a building.

The city streets were bustling with activity. On both sides, stalls lined the streets. Stall owners displayed their wares while they hawked to the passing pedestrians.

Some people had ability and several pedestrians would swarm their stalls. Others were not so lucky and continued to shout out, hoping someone would stop.

From their hawking, I roughly figured the price range of the items. Meat was very expensive. Fresh meat could be bought for twenty copper coins for an ounce. While dried meat was about fifteen copper coins for an ounce.

Fruits were just as expensive. Dried grains were not as expensive, despite being imported from other countries.

Food was the most coveted and most expensive good. Then came clothes. Other daily necessities, like water jars and bowls were next. As for trinkets, these were the least expensive.

I saw a stall with beautifully carved stone rocks. The color of the stone carvings were Olivine.

On the man's back was a young child, between one and two years old. The child, like the old man, was pitifully thin. Despite wearing old clothes, the child's clothes were clean and well-patched.

The old man hunched over and continued to carve rocks despite my approach.