Chapter 18: Spies

No, you aren't. You can't be. You killed Warden, after all. A great warrior couldn't die to just a "waste".

Warden: Is that what you think, boy? Look in the mirror.

You hear applause coming from the dark forest around you. Warden gets up from his slumped-over position, and walks in front of you, crossing his arms as he towers over you.

Warden: You're stronger than all of them. You're smarter than all of them. You're braver. And yet you shrivel and shrink under the sound of them clapping for you?

You look around, trying to find the source of the sound.

Warden: Only a waste would ever let weaklings like them have power like that.

You can see countless faces peeking at you from behind the trees. They all grin.

Warden: Are you so scared of that stage, all of those worthless smiling faces, and all of that empty praise?

No, you aren't scared of them.

Warden: Of course, you aren't. You're just afraid to let them see who you really are. You don't want them to look, because you don't want to let them see you fail. Pathetic.

The countless beatings, slashes, and blood come rushing back.

Warden: Every single one of your scars is a failure. You hide them under your jacket. Your tail and ears are a failure, you hide those too.

Warden smiles.

Warden: Just like me.

The scars start to hurt again.

Warden: You were my failure. I covered you with scars and bruises to hide what a timid little runt you were at heart.

Warden chuckles.

Warden: I did you a favor, boy. I didn't kill you. But look where that got you. You're still the same failure you were all those years ago. You're strong, and you're smart, but you're still so timid you wouldn't dare do anything to make them hate you. So you hide. Under that gray hoodie of yours, you hide who you really are.

You look down in shame.

Warden: You say you just want to help and do good, without wanting anything in return. You say you want to be a hero. We both know you're not that simple. You want to collect all of these amazing feats and good deeds, so you can distract yourself. Pathetic.

???: At least he ain't dead like you.

Both you and Warden look up, as a familiar voice echoes through the dark forest.

Hood: If he's a failure, what does that make you?

Hood is sitting on top of a tree, with his sword resting on his shoulder. Warden doesn't respond.

Hood: Just get lost. You aren't even really here.

You blink, and everything changes. The dark forest brightens, Warden disappears, and everything goes silent.

Hood sighs and jumps down from the tree, and his sword vanishes.

Hood: All of that was true, wasn't it?

(F/N): No. Well, some of it.

Hood: Which parts?

(F/N): He was honest about why he did it. Why he made me into... this.

You hold out your arms, showing your scars.

Hood: Who gives a damn about what he thinks?

(F/N): If he wasn't my father... where would I be? Who would I be?