Chapter 10: His Place

It's a day in class like any other.

Being in a classroom is not nearly as interesting as you expected it to be. Teachers stand and ramble on and on about stuff that you already know.

Even the combat classes are unnecessary for you. Despite the fact beacon is one of the best combat schools out there, they still seem like they're made for amateurs.

But that isn't a fair comparison for you, is it? In a classroom, you learn to spar, not fight. But in the field, it's different.

You focus on the fight in front of you.

Jaune leans over panting, while his opponent, Cardin, chuckles at him.

Jaune raises his sword and wildly charges at Cardin. He swipes at Cardin, and Cardin easily sidesteps it and lazily smacks him with his mace.

Jaune is barely able to block it with his shield, but it wasn't enough. His shield is sent flying out of his hands, and Jaune is knocked to the other side of the ring.

You watch Jaune closely while he "fights". He's obviously not trained like the rest of the students are.

He telegraphs his attacks, he doesn't maintain a stance, and he overcommits to his attacks. All rookie mistakes.

Maybe he's a noncombat student, but why would he be enrolled in a combat class meant for hunters in training? Something's fishy.

Glynda: Cardin, that's enough!

Jaune is on the floor, and Cardin was about to put him in a coma. Cardin calms down, lowering his weapon and walking to the other side of the ring.

Glynda jumps into the ring and looks at the class.

Glynda: Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's Aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament-style duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle and that the official may call the match.

You notice Pyrrha looking disappointed. She was rooting for Jaune, sadly.

You haven't really talked to Pyrrha, but she seems alright. She's a tournament champion, but that's about all you know about her

Except for team RWBY, mostly everyone is scared of you. Yang's death hug probably made you less intimidating to them.

Glynda: Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to your Scroll during combat. Gauging your Aura will help you decide when it's appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowulf, now, would we?

Cardin: Speak for yourself.

Glynda: Remember, everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing! Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!

You'll sit that one out. You have no allegiance to Vale. Only yourself and your friends. Besides, how could an outsider like you represent them?

Regardless, everyone else seems excited. Yang is punching the air and Ruby is probably about to explode for the second time.

The bell rings, and everyone gets up to leave, all except for Jaune, who hangs his head in shame while on the floor.

You walk over to him and offer a hand to him, but he slaps it aside, gets up himself, and walks away.

You sigh. Cardin hasn't been the kindest to Jaune. Jaune likes to pretend to protect his pride, but you can tell it's getting to him.

You follow Jaune to the cafeteria.