chapter fifty-four

good day in my mind, safe to take a step out

get some air now, let your edge out

too soon i spoke

━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━

"Beckett, see me when you're doing stretching," Coach Stan calls as he walks away, leaving us with Doug - the assistant coach - to run us through our stretches. 

"I told you he wouldn't be happy about you missing training over the weekend," Harry shrugs as we dry ourselves off poolside. 

"He was the one who insisted on me 'taking care of my mental health' and 'taking breaks when I need them'." 

Harry just shrugs again as he slips a hoodie over his head. We both grab our yoga mats and foam rollers and head over to where Doug is waiting for us. A few of our teammates have already started rolling out their muscles and we join them. 

Harry places his yoga mat next to mine. "Was it worth it?"

"What? The trip?" I ask, wincing slightly as I roll out my calves. 

"Yeah. Did you have fun?"

"I did," I reply, not able to help the smile slowly spreading on my face. 

I see Harry grimace out of the corner of my eye. "Okay, you don't have to get all giddy."

I change my position so I'm rolling out my hamstrings. "How's Omar doing?" I say, changing the subject. 

"Better than I thought he would be, actually. He's only taking his painkillers 'cause the doctor said not to stop, even if he doesn't feel any pain. He's staying with Carleen and I for a few weeks until he's able to move properly again."

"How much convincing did it take for him to agree to that?" 

"So much," Harry chuckles. "The only reason he agreed was because I told him he could either come with me peacefully or I could pick him up and he can't even do anything about it."

"Alright, hurry up everybody! We're waiting on you to join us!" Coach Doug calls out as the last few people come over to join our circle. "You have five more minutes to roll out, then we're starting stretches."

✴✴✴

My muscles are sore, but somehow feeling relaxed, as I roll my yoga mat back up and pick up my foam roller. 

"Hey," Harry says, "I thought it'd be nice if everyone could come over and see Omar this weekend. You're free to drop by whenever you want, obviously, but I think he'd appreciate if we all planned to come see him."

"Oh, sure, yeah," I nod.

"Perfect," Harry grins. "Saturday? After training?"

"Great."

"Alright, I'll let everyone else know. Don't keep Stan waiting."

I pack my things into my duffel bag, sighing loudly as I swing it over my shoulder and start walking towards Coach's office. I knock thrice right under the plaque that reads 'Stan Lopez - Head Coach'. 

"Come in."

Slowly, I open the door and step inside. Coach Stan pulls away from whatever he was doing on his computer to sit back comfortably in his chair with his arms crossed. He motions to the seat in front of him and I take it, placing my heavy bag on the floor next to me.