chapter eighteen

how could you ever leave me without a chance to try?

how can i be sorry if i don't know the crime?

i should be mad, 'cause you never told me why

still, i can't seem to say goodbye

━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━

I'm walking out of my Math tutorial on Friday when my name being called stops me. I turn to find Harry trying to push through the crowd to reach me. His blonde curls bounce up and down as he jogs over to me. 

"Hey, what's up?" I ask politely when we start walking together. "I didn't know we were in the same Math course."

"You really need to pay more attention to the people around you, man. Anyways, the Maple Leafs are playing the Sens if you want to come. So far, it's me, Omar and Carleen, but she doesn't want to be the only girl there and Omar may or may not have mentioned you were currently seeing someone," he admits with a guilty look. 

"I'd love to," I smile. "I'll ask her and let you know."

"Okay, cool. Let me put your number in my phone so I can text you the time and place." He hands me his phone and I punch in my number before handing it back. "Perfect. I'll see you later?" he asks. 

"See ya," I respond and then he's gone. 

I pull out my own phone and send Mia a text as I walk back towards my dorm. 

mia 📷

hey

a friend has tickets to a maple leafs game this weekend and i was wondering if you wanted to come with

his gf is coming too so you wont be the only girl

if you even want to come 

obviously

I feel the cold nipping at my fingertips, so I shove my hands in my pockets for some warmth. Just as I look up, I collide with a smaller figure and the first thing I notice is red hair pulled into a loose bun and the sweet smell of lavender. 

"I am so sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going. I'm sorry," I apologise profusely. 

Mia chuckles. "You're all good. I wasn't looking where I was going, either."

After a silent moment, I say, "I just sent you a text." She hums as she reaches into her black purse and retrieves her phone. "A friend from the team has tickets to a hockey game and he said I could bring a plus one. If you're even interested in hockey..."

Mia glances over the texts before smiling widely. "I'd love to. Just let me know the time and place."

I grin from ear to ear, my cheeks aching from the effort. "Great. Yeah, I'll let you know." It's not till then that I realise her formal attire - a beige sweater vest over a white dress shirt and a pair of black, wide leg pants. "You look like you're going somewhere important."

"I'm heading to a job interview, actually. I have to be able to actually pay rent if I want to move off-campus next semester," she shrugs. 

"Holy shit. Well, I'm sure you'll do great. You..." I hesitate for a moment. "You look gorgeous, by the way."

"Thank you," she blushes. "Well, I've really got to go, but I'll see you around, yeah?" she says leaning in for a hug goodbye. I bask in the smell of lavender as she wraps her arms around my torso. Her warmth is a sharp contrast to the steadily dropping temperatures outside - comfortable and inviting. I squeeze lightly before pulling away.