Chapter 10

"Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep"

"Beeeee-" I quickly turned off the evil box that made that dreadful sound and rubbed my eyes.

If the alarm didn't wake me up, the cold air that poured from my window certainly would have.

Why did I agree to this again?

What do I even wear?

I sauntered over to my closest and shuffled through my clothes, settling on a pair of blue jeans and an oversized gray t-shirt. This would have to do for now since I didn't have a uniform.

After getting dressed, I decided to wear my hair in a ponytail to keep my hair out of my face and away from customers' food. I was going to grab my phone until I realized I had lost it yesterday. I was hoping it was still at the diner so I wouldn't have to ask Dana for a new one. Lastly, I threw on a little mascara and some chapstick and made my way downstairs.

"Where are you headed this early?" Dana questioned as she came through the back door, covered in dirt. She must've been gardening again.

"I'm just meeting Hunter at the diner if that's ok...?"

"Of course," She said as she placed her gardening tools on the counter.

"Don't tell me you're still trying to save those lilies, Dana. They're practically dead. Just let them go," I said as my eyes lifted from the tools to her eyes.

"I don't think I can ever let them go. They gave me something so beautiful to look forward to."

"No matter how useless they may be to me...." She mumbled. I studied her face as she seemed lost in thought. Her eyes seemed to be almost searching for something that wasn't there.

"Alright, well, I don't want to keep Hunter waiting...." I said, standing there awkwardly. She seemed to snap out of whatever trance she was in and gave me a small nod and weak smile.

"Dana, are you ok...?"

"Of course, princess, why wouldn't I be?" She said after dusting her hands on her pants and giving me a bigger smile.

"I'll be home later, I'm going to Hunter's house after breakfast," I said as I slipped on my shoes. This wasn't a total lie, I needed a reason to be out longer, but I would probably end up at Hunter's house anyway.

"Ok, just make sure you're back on time," She said after sighing deeply.

"Flowers in the Basement is coming on later. Maybe we can watch it when you get back?"

"Yea, maybe...." I said before I opened the front door and took my usual route to Mary's.

I honestly wasn't over Dana locking me in my room, but I could never stay mad at her, though. I know she was just trying to protect me in her own way.

"Holy cow....." I said once I saw the parking lot filled with more cars than usual. It was only about double the number of cars but that was a lot for our town, and I knew only more people would come as the days went.

The bell chimed as I entered, earning me a few head turns. I instantly became aware of the clinking dishes, the smell of different foods, and all the conversations. Instead of heading to my usual booth near the window, I quickly walked towards the cash register in search of Mary.

"Good morning darling, you're right on time. I could really use your help serving," Mary said with a look of relief and tossed me a black apron.

"Of course," I said as I caught the apron.