Chapter 2

As far as I knew, not that many people knew about this place. It wasn't on the map, it was surrounded by towering trees, and it was far from any stores, major roads, houses, or businesses. It was the kind of place that made you feel like time had stopped, like whoever entered was the only one to exist. It was so beautiful it didn't seem real. I stumbled upon this beautiful treasure almost a year ago. 

*Flashback

"May Wright," I heard the announcer call my name.

I walked towards the middle of the stage with a smile I could not contain and happy tears that were freely falling down my cheeks. I didn't try to hide them, I wore them with pride because I made it as far as I did. I could barely see through the new tears forming, and I began to worry that soon my tears won't be the only thing falling. To no avail all the practice I did with Hunter, and I still walked like a penguin in these heels. Other than getting my diploma, I really looked forward to getting out of these heels and into some sneakers. Please don't trip, I repeated over and over in my head. Just a few more steps.

I managed to get all the way to the middle of the stage without tripping. I shook Principle Morris's hand and grabbed my diploma.

"You've earned it," He said.

"Thank you principal Morris," I said gently. I tried to look him in the eyes, but I failed miserably. As soon as I looked up, my eyes darted right back to the ground. I wanted to show respect, but looking people in the eyes made me feel uncomfortable.

How long am I supposed to look at someone? Were my eyes opened too wide? Were they not open enough?

Stop over thinking everything May, I thought to myself. You should be proud of trying. A few months ago, just the thought of looking someone in the eyes made you want to gouge your own eyes out.

I gave him another quick glance and flashed a small smile before I continued w̶a̶l̶k̶i̶n̶g̶  waddling across the stage.

I heard some clapping and a few cheers. I'd recognize those voices from anywhere. I paused near the stairs and looked towards the crowd. I found Dana cheering loudly for me. I laughed a little and gave her a small wave. She knew I hated attention, but she was just happy for me.

My eyes left Dana's and found Hunter's. It wasn't hard to find her when she basically had flashlights for eyes. Her eyes were so bright it was almost scary. Not only that, but our graduating class was small, so It only took me a second to find her bright blue eyes and blonde head. My smile grew even wider when I saw Hunter cheering for me. Her parents waved, and my smile faltered. I gave them a small smile and waved back.

I looked down for a few seconds and then back at my classmates with their families. Aunts, uncles, grandparents, siblings, cousins, moms, dads.

Dads. 

My smile was completely gone.

My eyes darted around. First, they caught Hunters. Her smile dropped, and her bright blue eyes weren't as lively as they were a second ago. She handed her mom her graduation cap and flowers before getting up from her seat.

Next, my eyes found Dana's. This time, her eyebrows were knitted in confusion, and her smile was nowhere to be found. Tears began to trickle down my cheeks as I stood frozen in place, my eyes still glued to Dana.