Please dont go...

*One Week Later*

Elizabeth's POV

Uncle Rob knocks once on the door of mom's hospital room and opens it. The afternoon sun streams through the large window, casting light upon my frail mother's body laying limply on the soft hospital bed. It's so hard to look at her. She's so weak and she isnt improving. She looks slowly over at us.

"Jennifer." Uncle Rob says, approaching her bed. I fix the dying flower arrangement next to her bed and crouch next to her. She takes a struggled, heaving breath.

"Rob. It's been so long." She says, attempting to be her usual bright self even though she only saw us yesterday. She turns to look at me. I force a smile.

"And Evangeline. Is my little Elizabeth outside? Turning eight tomorrow! Can you believe..." She trails off. A tear slips down my cheek as i take her hand in mine. Jesus christ...i cant stand this. Uncle Rob puts his arm around me, trying to comfort me. She barely speaks anymore. To hear this from her today is more than we've got all week. And not a fucking word from 'you know who.'

"How are you feeling, Jen?" I ask her as casually as possible. She closes her eyes.

"The noise from the nursery, Evangeline, you wouldnt believe. She cries and cries all the time until Rob picks her up. She's a mischievous one." She continues. I chuckle and wipe a tear from my cheek. Uncle Rob squeezes my shoulder.

"Even Oliver cant stop her and they have a very close bond." She says. I flinch at the name. Uncle Rob crouches down next to me. Mom's head rolls to one side, taking a few gasping breaths. My back straightens. Oh god. Oh fuck, whats happening? Uncle Rob instinctively goes to get a nurse and returns a few minutes later. I realise my grip on her hand has tightened. Please, dont go. The nurse examines her for a while before shaking her head.

"Im so sorry. I dont think its very long now." My head shoots up. What? Whats not very long? Uncle Rob presses his thumb and index finger against the bridge of his nose.

"What isnt very long?" I ask quickly. Her mouth tightens into a thin line. No. No no no no no no no.

"Im so sorry. Jennifer is a lovely lady. I'll let you have your time." She says. I cant help myself. I start shaking with rage. She's going to live. She wont leave.

"Time would be fucking great considering we apparently dont have any left." I spit at the nurse. She looks at the floor and leaves. Uncle Rob taps me on the shoulder. I take a deep breath and turn around. He has wet cheeks and bloodshot eyes. His hair is a mess and the crinkles in the corners of his eyes seem to have deepened along with his sunken, tired face. Mom is looking over at me with a worried expression on her pale face. I walk over to her bed, sitting on the side of it. One of my hands is in hers, one in uncle Rob's. Her breathing has somewhat regulated. She gently smiles at me, rubbing my hand with her thumb.

"I have an amazing family. We dont all fit but we make it work somehow. I couldnt have done any better." She mumbles, trailing off. Her eyes slowly close and her hand goes limp in mine. No, wait. Wake up. What are you doing, mom? Uncle Rob lets out a small sob. There is no more irregular gasps for air. No more rambling. No more mom. I wait for her to say something; anything at all. She's gone, Elizabeth.

"I couldnt have done better either, mom." I say quietly. I stand up silently and open the door. Uncle Rob looks up.

"Where are you going?" I turn to him, tears are streaming down my face. I dont know where im going. I dont know what to do. I have to get out of here. I shake my head.

"I dont know." I say simply and turn back towards the door, leaving the room that is now reeking of death. My mom is gone. And im completely lost.