The Day After

Elizabeth's POV

I wake up and feel like a mexican band has played in my brain and a giant elephant is standing on my head. How the fuck did i get home last night? What did i do last night? Why do i feel like im forgetting something? I roll myself out of bed and slowly but painfully make my way to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. I reach the coffee machine. The fucking coffee machine is broken, you drunken fuckhead. Thats not my fucking machine. That's a new goddamn machine. Oh wait, there's a note on it. I rip the note off of the top of the machine and make myself some coffee. I take a sip and try to focus my aching eyes on the writing.

Beth,
You always said you 'need to fix the goddamn coffee machine' and i figured after the night you had you'll need colossal amounts of coffee so i fixed the goddamn coffee machine for you.
Im so sorry about everything.

I love you.
-Tom.

A wave of realisation drops over me and i drop my mug of coffee, smashing it on the floor. I swipe my keys off of the table, running out of my apartment and down the stairs. Why am i wearing my flannel pants and Tom's shirt? I get into my impala and frantically start the car. Where the fuck are my shoes? Oh fuck it. Drive, drive, drive. I take off down the street and hope to god he hasnt left yet. I finally reach Tom's hotel, park the car and bolt through the lobby to the elevator.

"Good morning, Miss Thompson." Frank the lobby guy calls after me. I shoot him a smile, holding back the emotions in my glassy eyes while my heart beats out of my chest. The elevator comes down to the ground floor with a ding! and i rush in, rapidly pressing the button up to Tom's floor.

The elevator stops with a shudder and allows me into the long corridor. I run as fast as possible down the hall to Tom's room and smack on the door multiple times. He's got to be here. He's probably asleep and wont answer the door. Yeah, he's asleep. He wouldnt leave without saying goodbye. He cant. Oh god, what have i done? I hopelessly twist the doorknob and surprisingly it opens, revealing an empty room. The bed has been remade with mints on the pillow and the room is like no one had ever been there. My eyes release all of the tears i had hoped i didnt have to release and the elephant on my head is heavier than ever. I turn around and shut the door, clutching my stomach so that i dont throw up everywhere. Oh fuck, what have i done? I wipe my wet cheeks as I take the elevator back down and walk out to my car. I get in and sit for a few moments in a stunned silence, letting the small, wet drops make trails down my cheeks. I feel the rage with myself grow with every passing minute until i finally let it out.

"FUCK." I scream, smacking the shit out of the steering wheel. I breathlessly slam against the seat and move my hair out of my face with empty sobs. People always leave...Except one. I start the car, knowing exactly where to go from here.

Uncle Rob's.

__________________________

I knock on uncle Rob's front door and wait for him to answer. I must look a mess. Im in my fucking flannel pj pants and Toms fucking shirt and im hung over and crying and ugh. Uncle Rob opens the door and looks at me confused. I clear my throat.

"He's gone, uncle Rob. He's gone and i dont know what to do." I choke out, more tears spilling down my cheeks. Realisation falls over his face and he pulls me into a warm, tight hug. I sob hopelessly into his chest.

"I know, kid. It'll be alright. Come on, we're having ice cream." He comforts me and brings me inside, shutting the door. He goes and gets two bowls of ice cream, sitting me down and handing me one.

"Now tell me everything."

Tom's POV

I didnt even wake her up this morning to say goodbye. Oh god, what have i done? I fumble with my carry on bag as i sit in the waiting area by Gate H. I glance down at my watch. 9:05. I should call her. I need to call her. She has to know i didnt just leave like that. Im calling her. I pull out my phone and press on my contacts. I scroll down and scan the names until i come across 'Beth'. I open the contact and let my thumb hover over the call icon. I cant do it. If i hear her voice, i wont be able to leave. Im going home. I have to go home. Without her. But god, im going to miss her so much. I stare in consideration at my phone; at her number. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me. And im leaving her behind. And im in love with her. Im calling her. I cant leave.

"Flight number NY260 to London is now boarding." A voice over the loud speaker calls. I have to go. I lock my phone, stand up and hand my ticket to the boarding guy.

I walk into the bridge that leads to the plane. This is it. Im leaving Beth. I take a deep breath and keep walking. I wont turn around. I wont turn around.

I walk onto the plane and take a my seat, nodding a hello to the older man sitting next to me who introduces himself promptly.

"Harry." He says in introduction, holding out his hand. I smile and shake his hand.

"Tom." I reply. The door shuts and locks itself as the air hostess begins her safety speech. She finishes and the plane engines roar to life. I close my eyes, take a deep breath and feel the plane run off of the runway, then lift up off the ground, leaving New York and Beth behind me.

"Nervous flyer?" Harry asks me. I look over at him and half smile briefly.

"No, no. Im just trying to convince myself im doing the right thing here." I explain to him. He nods his head understandably and smirks slightly.

"A girl?" He asks me. I turn my body to look at him. I let out a small chuckle.

"How did you know?" I asks him. He laughs heartily.

"I've been in your situation when i was younger." He says. I raise one eyebrow.

"And did you do the right thing?" I ask eagerly. He huffs and sinks into his seat as we descent further and further into the air.

"I left the love of my life and didnt see her for 30 years. I've been alone ever since." He explains. I nod sympathetically and sink hopelessly back into my chair. What have i done? Oh god, Beth, im so sorry.