Chapter 18: You Feel Me?

There was no going back.

Breeze threw the football up into the air. Ethan ran over to catch it, as well as Nolan, the offense.

"Go, go, go!"

Unfortunately, Nolan was too distracted by the ball to see the the cylinder mat in front of him. So, of course, he crashed into it comically, face-first.

"Oof!"

The singer laughed hysterically as the boy held his nose. "I think it might be bleeding."

Ethan checked to make sure. "Nah, you're good."

"Ahh, that was so funny!"

"Yeah, I know." Replied Ethan. "I wish B. Wells was here to see this."

"Yeah, where is B. Wells anyway?" Nolan asked.

"Like I said, he has a few days off."

"He's got some personal stuff to deal with." Ethan added.

"How do you know? It's not like you live in his neighborhood like I do!" The 6th grader argued.

"Chill, Nol. I told him that."

"Yeah, Nolan. Chill out." Aurora butted in playfully.

"Shut up, Aurora!"

"Guys, save the flirting for later. Man." Breeze joked.

"We're not flirting!"

"Sure you're not." Ethan smirked.

"Wait, Breeze!" Christian piped up, pointing to the gym door. "Something's going on out there."

Everyone stopped, listening. There were few adults in the school, but the kids could hear them yelling... in pain.

"Oh no." Ethan muttered under his breath.

"Is it The Emergency?" Aurora asked nervously.

"Yeah, probably." Breeze said with a frown.

"Wait, but you're ok." Ethan pointed out. "How?"

"I built up a tolerance to it."

"You can't do that!" Nolan argued.

"Everyone!" The man shouted. "Stay in here. I'm gonna go help those adults."

Krista, the other assistant in place of Brandon who had been watching Rose and Greyson was now diverting her attention to the whole of the group.

Nolan turned to Ethan. "There's more going on here, right? I know B. Wells. He wouldn't just take a couple days off and not tell us why. And he has friends with magical powers. Do you know something I don't?"

"Nolan, can you just stop it? Everything's fine!"

"It doesn't look fine to me." Aurora butted in, getting down from the mat above. "Breeze just had to go help some adults who sounded like they were hurting bad. Just like my Dad. The Emergency's worse than ever. Maybe B. Wells is off trying to help his parents."

"Yeah, maybe he just wants to help them through this time." Christian chimed in.

Nolan nodded. "Maybe... I still think Ethan knows something."

"I don't know anything!"

"See? He's getting defensive!"

"Guys!"

Breeze reentered the room, throwing his hands up. "Why are we arguing?"

"Ethan knows something about-"